The New @Tagging Mod Here On The Forums

it has potential, but it’s being abused right from the get-go

example: todd posts a new thread, so there is only one post in it, then fred replies to it and immediately uses @todd in his reply… i mean, come on, who the heck else would fred be replying to?

i am unimpressed

edit: well, it turns out there actually is a member called @todd, who hasn’t visited sitepoint in over a year… let’s see if this double mention actually brings him back…

Well, reading through this thread I think the whole tag/mention/quote thingy is a bit gimmicky although if used properly it might have some merit. But notifying quotes is way over-kill imo. I just don’t see the point of it. When I look down the list of today’s posts I can see a little icon on the threads I have posted in and that’s all I need. I don’t need tag/mention/quote notifications. Why not give us at least the option to switch them off in our profiles rather than impose them on us. Those that want to use the “features”, fine they can be free to use them, and those that don’t want to be bombarded with useless notifications should be allowed to switch off the “features”.

btw - I suppose spikeZ will get a notification for the above quote :slight_smile:

That’s my rant for the day :x

I wouldnt say that a counter at the top of the page is ‘bombarding’ but hey, if it bugs you then the devs can have a look at it.

Yes I did, thanks :slight_smile:

If you don’t like it, ignore it. :slight_smile:

I like it because I have to search for myself (HAWK and Sarah) several times a day in order to answer questions that people ask. If I was tagged it would make things a whole lot easier.

I also hope that it increases the sense of community and the activity levels.

Yes, the counter itself is not a bombardment. I just don’t see how it can be justified to not give members the option to switch off these “features”. But I suppose like with anything else we don’t see the point of, we have the option to ignore it.

Btw - I see another member in this thread is not impressed, initially at least, with the new “features”. So we’re not the only ones.

Hey!

Nice work, pass on my thanks to the dev team.

One thing though, this plugin incorrectly parses code too buggering it up. :slight_smile:

Hoy in a bug report for me.

Ta!

Anthony.

I got it Nuria :smiley:

Yes…I do like this feature a lot. This is very nice! This might be me getting a little over-excited but I think this could be a great feature to help increase activity levels and the sense of the community, as you said @HAWK. I know what you mean with why you like it Sarah, because I’ve often gone around searching the forums for any mention of AndrewCooper…Now I don’t need to, I get notified of it! :smiley:

Just brilliant!

Thanks @AnthonySterling - that certainly is a PITA. As a temporary work around, if you apply colour to the @ then it’ll work.

I was having trouble earlier when trying to tag someone (you) in an OffTopic tag.

e.g.

Off Topic:

This is offtopic and trying to tag Sarah with her username: [MENTION=32946]HAWK

I you can go in to fix it after the post is published by editing the inside of the Mention tag.

Off Topic:

This is offtopic and I’m tagging Sarah with her username (but coming back to fix it): @HAWK

That doesn’t work in all types of code block though, some of them don’t parse BB code, so while it stops the @ tagging it then displays the colour code tags around the @.

Not sure how it works for those of us with spaces in their monikers (Molona, your blackmax tag went to some other fellow, not me!). @Black_Max doesn’t display properly…

Edit: Yes, it does display properly. Never mind. :x

Sorry, Michael… you know that it was meant to you :slight_smile:

I think this is the first forum which i have visited having this facility… CooL one…

:wink:

I’m trying to find a way to delete all the Quote notifications under the Quote tab in my profile but am not having any luck.

Is there a way? or is the list of quote notifications just going to keep on growing forever? It’s even recording when I quote someone else and not just when someone quotes me :eek:

I’m not sure but I don’t think you can. You can ignore the tab, of course, and the notifications. But I suspect that you can’t.

You’re only notified when someone quotes you. The idea is that you are aware that someone is quoting you so you can answer if you want to :slight_smile:

Thanks for your reply.

But with

are you sure?

Attached is a screen dump of what I see when I click on the Notifications drop down at the top of the window or on the Quotes tab in my profile. You can see I am getting notifications for when others quote me and for when I quote others.

It’s not a big deal really. I was just curious about how to delete the notifications because I am assuming they are occupying space in a database somewhere.

I didn’t say that it didn’t record both ways… only that it notifies when you are quoted (that’s the notification link that you have at the very top of the window). At least, that’s how it works for me.

I’m not certain of how the plugin works and if it deletes the information but I haven’t found anything to deleted so if there’s any kind of deletion it mus be automatic or done by the administrator, I assume.

You said

You’re only notified when someone quotes you.

I took that to mean that I am notified only when someone quotes me and that I am not notified when I quote someone else. But I clearly am.

Like I said, it’s not a big deal :slight_smile:

Maybe I didn’t explain myself. Everything gets listed under your quote tab… but I could only see a “notification” when someone quoted me. Notification for me is the link that shows in the main forum page that says “Notification: 2” or whatever. When you display it, it tells you how many times you’ve been quoted, the number of unread pms and stuff like that.