The PHP 7 Revolution: Return Types and Removed Artifacts

Ammended, Tony’s name has apparently been updated. I am still not happy about the attacking nature of this article, or how rude the OP is, but cannot find a complaints button, which is very telling of sitepoint; I only signed to comment because I thought the article was so bad, so untechnically focused and so rude.

I Do share the idea, why would we tell the PHP core devs what to do, but Tony has made some great points, I do agree with in principle, and after the latest post (see below) it seems the article author agrees in principle too…

As the writer does say, it’s done now, and if for no reason other than this, I hope PHP7 crashes, and burns just like Python 2 did. It talks in places about compatibility with HHVM, as if that were some goal of PHP. In reality PHP should not be a web-application, it should form a part of it, and let more mature, more performant back-end compiled langs do the heavy lifting. After all, I never saw LUA trying to implement PDF utilities, or zip utilities, it simply hooks other frameworks like a lot of high-level utility langs do…