The PHP 7 Revolution: Return Types and Removed Artifacts

umm okay, if this is what you believe. But still like I said, I never assumed that you were an incompetent programmer, the term ‘incompetent’ is very ambiguous and I’d rather use the word unmodernized here. As your later post indicates, you started programming a long time ago all the way back to 1970s, and your first programming language was COBOL, which was a procedural language. Its understandable that it must have taught you many concepts and habits that were common and acceptable at that time, but were no longer considered good practices nowadays, such as global variables, singletons, long functions/classes, etc. Also your understanding of OOP is very shallow and unconventional, as you believe using objects alone makes it OOP, while in fact its far away from that. Apparently coming from a procedural coding background was a huge obstacle for your transition into the OO world, as some old habits would not go away easily.

Anyway, a modernized programmer, however, learns new concepts and adapts with time. Thats actually why many coders are doing refactoring, since they learned new skills and practices that will help with their development in a long run. It’s never too late or old to learn, but it seems that you treat it as personal insult whenever people tell you that you need to refurnish your coding skillset and do something differently. Years of old programming experience can be beneficial or detrimental, depending on whether it helps you write better programs now and in future. So honestly, I consider that your so called 30-40 years of programming experience a hindrance here, since you fail to adapt to the modern programming standards and instead holding on to your old inappropriate procedural programming mindset that was common in the 1970s but are more or less obsolete nowadays. The world of computer and programming changes and moves rapidly with time, and I find it surprising how you willingly stay behind. Perhaps you still do not understand the nature of this industry, but I dont want to make an assumption so I will stop here. Good luck.

2 Likes