The PHP 7 Revolution: Return Types and Removed Artifacts

So the difference between a language that is used on 240 million website and one that is used on less than 24 is irrelevant? A fight between an elephant and a mosquito will not be much of a fight.

I have seen the list of improvements in the internals list, and I am in favour of all of them. However, none of these “improvements” require the removal of PHP 4 constructors.

It sounds like this problem could be fixed by https://wiki.php.net/rfc/default_ctor if it were amended to include (the still supported and as yet undeprecated) PHP 4 constructors. You see, it is possible to fi the problem without resorting to a BC break.

Oh I see. Your statement is based solely on the numbers of scripts that you have personally seen. Are you aware of how many PEAR components were written for PHP 4 and have never been updated to use PHP 5 constructors? I have seen posts from other developers in other forums who have large applications which were written using PHP 4 constructors and who simply don’t have the time to refactor them.