The PHP 7 Revolution: Return Types and Removed Artifacts

That doesn’t bother me at all. As I have already said in a previous post I changed my framework

Then you have shot down your own arguments here and proven that your position is entirely from an emotional and nostalgic perspective. The fact that you happen to use PHP4 constructors and don’t want to use __construct() is the basis for your argument here.

If you were really interested in arguing for “backwards compatibility” then you’d be arguing tha mysql_connect should just be rewritten as a wrapper for mysqli_connect; function mysql_connect($args) { mysqli_connect($args); }

Let’s put it this way, the only valid argument here is that it would mean some developers have to change their code. However:

• Changing a codebase would take minutes (There was even mention on the mailing list of providing a script that did it for you), considerably less time than testing the code against the new version

• The majority of developers do not use PHP4 so will never be affected

There’s not really a case for keeping them. Having two ways of doing the exact same thing is pointless and just adds bloat to the language.