The power of Anchor Text

I have read in an article that a website with average on page optimization but with rich anchor texts can rank higher in the search engines very easily. I was thinking that I too should experiment over this and see myself if anchor text do any affect in my keyword’s SERP. But before that I would like to know form you guys that has anyone of you tried this concept or do you have any experience in this regards ?? Please guide me I am a NOOB in SEO. Thank you in advance.

[font=verdana]I have never set out to carry out an experiment like that – for the simple reason that I’ve always used rich anchor text and encouraged people to do so when linking to my sites. Most of my sites do pretty well in Google. There could well be a connection between those two points.

It’s pretty clear that if you have one link that just says

<a href="http://sitepoint.com">sitepoint.com</a>

and another one that says

<a href="http://sitepoint.com">Sitepoint &#8211; a great resource for web designers</a>

, Google is going to find the second one more helpful (as are people reading the page), because it is more descriptive and tells them what the link is about.[/font]

Nice tips, Dear Advisors Steve D.
Can you please share the the perfect way of using anchor texts. can we use exact keywords as anchor. some people saying
keywords 60% Barnd name 40%. Is that the right way. i need you to give me the perfect way of this method.

Hi emizrglobal, there isn’t a perfect formula when it comes to the usage of anchor text simply because a formula will lead to abuse by webmasters who are trying to spam the search engine rankings with crappy content.

The idea to rank well is to host quality and useful content on your website that people will link to naturally with their chosen anchor text. If you have 10 inbound links to a page on your website and all the 10 links are using the same primary keyword as anchor text, a red flag will be raised by Google bots to its system because this is, in a way, unnatural. Most people link to other web pages using the website’s brand name, action words such as “click here”, “check it out”, “learn more”, or a phrase describing the web page they are linking to (as shared by Stevie) as the anchor text rather than just the primary keyword.

Just remember that you should always diversify your anchor texts to ensure that they are natural. Creating thousands of backlinks using the same anchor text is a bad idea. At least have several different keywords, relevant keywords, synonyms as well as some generic ones such as click here, here or sometimes just bare URL would do.