The Ruby Community: An Introduction

An excerpt from http://www.sitepoint.com/ruby-community-introduction/, by Nihal Sahu

Diving into Ruby just about a year ago, I faced many challenges and unfamiliar concepts in the Ruby ecosystem. Things like testing, gems, the who’s who of the community, rake, rdoc, web stuff like Sinatra and Rails were all very confusing. It was a rewarding experience, but the search involved a lot of trial and error. This article hopes to clear the air a bit, and give a clear and comprehensive introduction to Ruby, its community, its ecosystem, and the tools Rubyists use.

The Idea of Ruby

Ruby is a language that emphasizes simplicity. It attempts to eliminate verbosity and clutter. Rubyists tend to favor terse code that convey intent clearly and concisely.

For example:

5.times do
  puts "This is beautiful and readable"

end

or:

puts "car".upcase

You can read that. I would bet my last paycheck that you can read and understand what it does. There is no clutter and no needless jargon. There are no unnecessary parentheses or symbols. It is simple, clear, and concise.

Continue reading this article on SitePoint

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.