The SPF Pure HTML & CSS competition - The Winners!

Greetings everyone.

On behalf of our forum administrator HAWK, and the rest of SitePoint forum Staff, I personally (Robert Wellock) as your leading Competition Judge (JUDGEcoder) for this competition; fanfare, please.

Would like to inform you all that: The SPF Pure HTML & CSS Competition! Has now been judged and we’d like to announce the: [B]

COMPETITION PRIZE WINNERS![/B]

The competition prizes are as follows:

1st prize - a T-shirt, SitePoint print book of choice and an I :heart: HTML cup
2nd prize - a SitePoint print book, SitePoint PDF book of choice and an I :heart: HTML cup
3rd prize - a SitePoint PDF book and an I :heart: HTML cup
4th prize - an I :heart: HTML cup

The winning SPF members are as follows:

1. Candygirl
  2. YuriKolovsky
  3. Hueij

Joint fourth place:

4th. lbispo
4th. Pikacsu81

Well done people!

As you may have noticed we have a new fourth place prize because we were so impressed with the entries. Plus our forum Administrator Sarah (HAWK) Taylor, loved the fact that so many people had competed and was aware of how close the results were for the top entries. So she generously allowed a fourth prize (which happened to be a joint score).

We’ve had some superb entries from all levels of members and the judging wasn’t an easy feat and involved telephone meetings amongst other things.

None of the judges could predict who would win until the eleventh hour. The scoreboard was flashing like the London Stock Exchange… As the totals were input following; Shaun’s [Shaun(OfTheDead)] scoring rulebook criteria and a placing pattern eventually formed.

The top ten entries were extremely close for points; so even little the things regarding semantics and valid markup were considered during the judging process not just creativity and artistic merit or browser compatibility. There was a variety of strengths and weaknesses in all the entries so attention to detail mattered.

I’d like to thank everyone on behalf of my other fellow Judges that has submitted a competition entry and congratulate the winning four members.

I hope those who have competed fully enjoyed themselves and found the task as “challenging” and have had as much fun as we have it’s the taking part that counts.

Alas, as a ‘special bonus’ feature we will be providing a “Showcase of Entries” including some; never seen before special “Bonus Feature Entries”.

Including one showcase entry from the legendary Paul O’B and a selection from some of the staff in due course.

Due to technical difficulties we are not able to showcase all entries just yet, but they will be online today or tomorrow.
All entries are showcased over here: http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/news-announcements-38/spf-pure-html-css-competition-winners-744353-2.html#post4839600
Enjoy :slight_smile:

For now I’ve attached screenshots of the entries the winners submitted for all of you to have a look at.

Candygirl

YuriKolovsky

Hueij

lbispo

Pikacsu81

Thankee
JUDGEcoder

Robert Wellock

Congratulations to all the winners above :). The entries look great.

Also well done to the judges as I know this hasn’t been easy due to the great number of high class entries.

Congratulations to all, winners and all that participated!
And thanks Robert and all judges for all your hard work. You rock :nanaman:

Congratulations to all participants but, obviously, to the winners! I know that the judges had it really tough! You guys rock :slight_smile:

Edit: I tweeted and facebooked this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

Outstanding entries! Congrats :slight_smile:

Congrats winners!!!

[FONT=“Georgia”]These are freaking amazing!

Just HTML and some fonts?

Man.

[/FONT]

[FONT=“Georgia”]Congratulations to everyone!

[/FONT]

Congratulations Guys

Congrats to the winners… can we see all the entries? And can we get links to HTML versions to see how they work? Cheers.

Due to technical difficulties we are not able to showcase all entries just yet, but they will be online today or tomorrow.

Just a little patience :slight_smile:

Missed that bit. Cheers.

Just wondering, will all the entries be listed in order of ranking?

I was just wondering how I (as a beginner) stacked up against everyone else. (seeing the screen shots of the winners, probably not very well)

:open_mouth: (<== thats me right now)
Why didn’t I get any PM telling me this?

I don’t consider myself to be a designer, so it was very challenging for me!
But now I have a even harder challenge of choosing a book!! (pm recommendations appreciated)

btw I temporarily uploaded my entry here so that you guys can see it until the technical problems at SP get solved.
looks best in webkit and gecko

@scout1idf
I don’t think they CAN rank all the entries, and it would only be possible by the general community.

Very nice guys, congratulations to the winners and all who entered. Amazing work and truly inspiring :spf:

Well done to all involved in the competition behind the scenes also! :tup:

Yes, amazing stuff.

(Don’t make a fuss about it, but I find Pikacsu81’s to be just fantastic: I’m not falling for the “simple” look, I can recognize a clear and smart vision when I see one, and Hueij’s following in my preferences, with a solid look and feel, with just enough “twisted” stuff.)

Also, good work to all the staff involved, and good effort. It was worth it in full.

Agreed and…

Also, good work to all the staff involved, and good effort. It was worth it in full.

[FONT=“Georgia”]…thank you!

xhtmlcoder took this one over like a champ.

[/FONT]

So, a special “Thank you, Robert!” is in order :slight_smile:

Wow! I totally didn’t expect this, especially since I’m not a designer. I just looked at the other four winners and they did some things I would never think would be possible. All great entries!

I can’t wait to see the other entries, any chance that they will come online so we can see the code?

Anyhow, thanks guys (and gals), this was fun.

HAWK, is busily working on the ‘technical difficulties’ at the moment so you’ll just have to wait that little bit longer before we can have the full showcase in operation.

Hopefully the full 34 entry files will be available plus those “special” Staff ‘Just for Fun entries’.

We are only listing the top four places in the SPF. Albeit for everyone who has entered; we possibly could arrange to give them some ‘feedback’ via PM about how they fared or some constructive criticism.

Because there was a wide range of abilities entering and some were only beginners we would prefer to be more discreet and personal to the entrants.

You were up against strong competition Dan but I am glad you entered as your entry was rather interesting in design.

Some Gremlins at Sarah’s side I suspect… But no doubt you’ll be hearing from her in due course (she is currently watching this thread). Anyway, what will you be drinking from the ‘I :heart: HTML cup’ Tim?

Like I said previously we enjoyed judging the entries and it was nice to see everyone attempting to do their best; even if some were beginners and knew they had limited skills. :slight_smile:

JUDGEcoder