The SPF Pure HTML & CSS competition - The Winners!

haha :D, that cup is the best, and I will be drinking orange juice from it, orange juice or water, it will also be the first cup that is strictly mine, everyone in my family has their own except me so it means a lot to me.

I got a bit overexcited and forgot what else I wanted to say.

Yeah, thanks to everyone who organized this event, and let me win something too! oh and the participants for participating.
and you Robert, for shouting at everyone :smiley:

Hopefully, soon the web pages will be available so keep checking back every so oftenā€¦ Jaap, what will you be drinking from your cup then?

YuriKolovskyā€™s webpage is sick looking. Props to all thoughā€¦

Well, I will be showing it off at work so it will be coffee and lots of it. And maybe Friday afternoons when we close the week with a couple of beers, wellā€¦ beer? :wink:

Anyway, I forgot to thank you and the others of the team who made this possible. Thanks a lot, I really enjoyed it (and learned a lot in the meantime).

Oh BTW, about being ā€œdiscreet and personalā€ to ā€œbeginnersā€, I think that if you do it in the open not only other beginners but every one (including me) would be learning from that. And since we all were beginners once no one will think any less of them. On the contrary, we would cheer their courage and maybe able to help them getting better. After all, we all started that way too. (And compared to your own Paul Oā€™B we all still are noobs :smiley: ).

Congratulations to the winners! Canā€™t wait until all the entries are showcased.

Who were top 10? Or the top x?

Woah, wish I could design stuff like that. Congrats to all the winners!

Iā€™d be interested to know roughly how many hours you guys spent on these designs. They look very professional!

Iā€™m still amazed at what can be done visually without using a single imageā€¦ seriously impressive stuff!

Iā€™ll start even though I Didnā€™t winā€¦ Ended at midnight for me, I started at 8:30P.M? Considering the time I spent on it Iā€™m very happy with my result.
Pretty Salmon Webdesign - Sitepoint Competition

Friends site.
View in FF for best results.
Cloud is my proud point :).

Congratulations, all! Some lovely work showcased here.

Well done all! Very impressed by the winning designs - inspiring!

@RyanReese - I like the <marquee> - nice one!

I also entered, you can see my effort hereā€¦

Niceā€¦ I love the cloud and grassā€¦ creative use of CSS3. :slight_smile:

Hereā€™s mine (optimal viewing in order of Chrome, Safari, Firefox, IE7, IE6 <ā€” especially the logo in IE)

Pretty Salmon Webdesign - Sitepoint Competition

My proudest parts are the logo, typography, and contact formā€¦ Iā€™ve only got about 6-8 hours in it, so I probably shouldnā€™t be upset that I didnā€™t placeā€¦ but I think itā€™s darn pretty, even if a little buggy and sloppily strewn together. :smiley:

Wow! Excellent entries! Congratulations to everyone and a huge thank you to the staff for the hard work involved in setting this up and running it so smoothly. :tup:

Thanks everyone! :p. I was debating putting it in but since itā€™s just a competition and I was going to have the speed set slow, I figured it couldnā€™t annoy the judges too much :D.

I loved making the cloud/sun. Took over an hour though.

Love your entries! Creative O_O

PS - my favorite of the winning designs is Pikacsu81ā€™sā€¦ super-cute use of a simple repeated element within a minimalist theme. Very well done in terms of design. :slight_smile:

The three key points came into play so it wasnā€™t just design that mattered and one or two people possibly lost a few potential marks for not paying enough attention to markup. Though when the Showcase appears, youā€™ll be able to enjoy viewing the rest of the pages as there were some really good and ā€˜interestingā€™ designs and ideas.

Stunning work, everyone, and congratulations to the winners. I canā€™t wait to pore over the code in detail. Lots to learn from here. :slight_smile:

@transio love your work, it must be in the top 10 somewhere.

I spent weeks of planning and 2 ideas scraped, my first idea was unusually similar to Pikacsu81 (which I really like, Iā€™m a fan of simple, and your work is great)
but mine was a bit lacking (I had only 1 CSS fish), the second idea was just like the one done by transio (as you can see by my questions in the competition thread)
then I scrapped everything, changed to dark to emphasize the colors, and left the idea where I play with typography and showcase the technical abilities of css3 (you can see how in each browser it looks different depending on the browserā€™s abilities), so itā€™s 3 weeks of planning, and 3 evenings of coding, which is around 15 hours.

Also I spent a while with the font security issues, and ended up embedding the single-letter font, so my entry consists of 1 file :smiley:
P.S. Try selecting some text in safari/chrome, and hovering over some of the texts for tooltips :stuck_out_tongue:

I agree, I think each person should be asked if their work can be criticized for everyones benefit, and considering this forum consists from some of the nicest/smartest people on the internet, I donā€™t think many will decline.

Waoww my name is here ! :wink:

I want to send a big thanks to the organizers of the contest; for the original idea, for all the time theyā€™ve invested. :cheer2:

This was the opportunity for me to explore some more CSS3 feature and to push me to finish something and having the courage to expose my creation in front of a jury.

I discoverd the contest the week before the end and rushed to give an entry before my vacations :wink: When I came back and give a look to my page I realized I left a stupid conception misstake giving a 1px bug with some browsers (% calculating once 31% and twice with 2%+2%+27. It should have been for both the second way to avoid the problem).

I thought I had no chance with this and other imperfectionsā€¦ I wonder what saved me when I see the impressive other submissions ( Iā€™m not a designer as well ^^)

Congratulations to all participants !

The technical issues with the showcase are resolved! Here are all the entries:

Alex
aniketrk
antonella
Candygirl
divyam.khurana
donmor55
guilherme
Hueij
imaginekitty
jdoppke
jgreenwalt
lbispo
LePhuronn
Logowizard
nizamilputra
noonnope
paulgrock
Pikacsu81
pwhiseheart
RyanReese
scout1idf
Squiz
Syam
T-cat
tagawa
thierry-koblentz
tkrster *
tommuseth
transio
w3dx
Will_Stoeber
YuriKolovsky
Zanzibar18
zcorpan

* Has a tendency to crash Firefox due to heavy CSS3 transitions. Seems to work best in Chrome and Safari.

Feel free to comment on the entries, but keep it civil; no bashing allowed :slight_smile:

And a few bonus entries from staff, who werenā€™t eligible for prizes, but entered just for fun:

Erik-J
guido2004
Mittineague
molona
Paul-OB
ScallioXTX

Is there a HTML CSS version of those enteries. I would love to see them.