The State of Firefox OS, What's In Store for 2015?

Originally published at: http://www.sitepoint.com/state-firefox-os-whats-store-2015/

2014 has been a rollercoaster year for Mozilla, starting with the backlash at co-founder Brendan Eich after becoming CEO. Following this was the implementation of video streaming DRM in Firefox. Last but not least, was the switch to Yahoo as the default search engine for Firefox after the deal with Google ended.

What might look like a big mess on the outside, is in fact a well planned strategy to leave space for Firefox OS, Mozilla’s mobile operating system to disrupt the mobile duopoly and penetrate the low-end market. Firefox OS (also known as ‘Boot to Gecko’) is a Linux kernel-based open-source operating system completely based on open web technologies. Since its launch in 2013, Firefox OS devices have received mixed reviews, but many forget that most Firefox OS devices weren’t designed to compete with their often 4x as expensive counterparts. Intex Cloud FX is the best example with a price tag of $33.

Continue reading this article on SitePoint

One thing that might be worth noting is that rumours point to Whattsapp working on a HTML5 version, which would probably be easy to port to FF OS. This would make one of the most awaited apps available on this platform.

Mozilla and firefox is good choose for who really care about privacy and end users freedom. With lowest price many poor people around the glob can access smart phones with really freedom and privacy.
Web is the best platform and must be open and free for use all users. And mozilla will care about these.

I donated to Firefox for the first time in 2014 as their suite of products have helped me no-end in my quest to be a better web developer with boxChilli. I use Firebug, Thunderbird and Firefox or at least did do on a daily basis.
Sadly as soon as I donated I started to experience some worrying happenings with my favourite browser. Regular sluggishness, poor speed in comparison to the competition (Chrome to be exact, I would never touch IE :)), Flash errors etc… Many of the other developers I know have been having the same experience and are moving to Chrome. This is a real shame as one of the things I like about FF is their brand ethos. Many people care about the ethos of the brands whose products they utilise but the vast majority will not use an inferior product no matter who makes it. I hope they turn things around soon!

3-4 years back I have a strong feeling that FireFox is unmatchable and unbeatable but with the passage of time Chrome really established itself a lot and FF started loosing, different issues as Matt mentioned in last post.

Now after 4 years I have the same feeling for Chrome :slight_smile: - let’s see who will beat them, might be FF will reign again and win the hearts of developers and users again who stopped using it or using as a second option.

Best of luck FF

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.