Things to know, tricks, and problems to avoid before starting a wordpress website

Hi :slight_smile:

Everything is pretty much in the title. Do you just plug and play, or do you have special advice, like changing tables prefix, or anything else that could become a problem down the road?

Regards,

-jj. :slight_smile:

I would suggest restricting to very few plugins like xml sitemap, all in one seo, cache and lite bookmark. i think these plugins alone will surely make your wp blog great.

thank you.

What I did for my wordpress blog for folder to root is upload the complete wp blog in the main directory. Then I go to the Admin Panel of wp folder, do the setting to direct the path to root directory.

After which, I will login WP blog from the root directory for the Admin Panel and check everything is ok before deleting the wp folder. With that said, you must configure the WP blog of the root directory to access the same database otherwise you will not see all the existing articles in the root directory WP blog.

Hi this is a good thread. I would recommend hosting it on your own to learn more from the process, including installation, plugins, etc.

Also, hm. Keep your eyes open for new and awesome themes that may be free, and practice customizing them for yourself.

You can have a lot of fun and I still think wordpress is one of the best platforms for putting your own content on the web! :slight_smile:

Thanks

Yoy don’t have to move anything. You just need to change one setting on the admin general settings page of WP so that the domain redirects into the wp folder.

This is a great thread! Very timely for me. Keep the advice coming. Today, I installed a wp site for a client and I put it in a folder in the httpdocs dir called “wp”. When I am done, I will need to move it to the root directory ([ul]www.nameofthesite.com[/l]). Any advice on things I can do now to make the move smooth? I changed my permalinks to postname…

Always remember to update your wordpress blog to the latest version to avoid bugs and being hacked. Try not to use too many plugins as it might create security holes when they are not up to date. Use those that you need.

Use a table prefix that identifiies the blog. That will make it easier to install additional WordPress blogs in the same database.

Keep WordPress up to date by installing any patches as soon as they become available.

Keep the number of plugins you are using to a minimum. If you keep everything up to date then the most likely cause of a security hole will be due to a plugin or combination of plugins.

Investigate the various cache plugins and select the one that best suits you so that it will cache blog pages and improve the efficiency of your blog.

A few things to consider:

1. Read up on different methods of securing a Wordpress installation.
  2. Factor in time to do regular software updates/upgrades
  3. If you modify core files remember that you’ll have to update them every time you upgrade - the same often applies to any plugins you use