Thinking about moving to Australia

Yes this is the right time to go to Australia if you like cricket, as Ashes is going on there.

Sounds like Australia is a controversial choice. :slight_smile:

Aussie economy is very strong.

looking at these OECD numbers only a small handful of countries have had economic growth in the last 2 years - Australia being one of them.

Interest rates have just gone up as a result of a strengthening economy.

GDP will be positive again for 2010 :slight_smile: with unemployment down at about 5%

I wouldn’t like to be in America or Europe atm if I was looking for work.

Some sights around Caloundra - Qld (taken 2008)

Some sights along the Great Ocean Road - Vic. (taken 2006)

Daydream Island - Whitsunday Islands, Qld (taken 2007)

Nice pics, Kalon. So, you’re an Aussie. Funny, I thought you were too intelligent for that. :smiley:

Hah, if you hate the cold, don’t come here. It’s cold most of the year—then far too hot for a few months in Summer. Very little in between. From Sydney up the weather is much more consistently warm.

Dude, he said he wanted somewhere not as cold. The coldest place I’ve ever been was Toronto.

Then I think you’d better get off the earth, buddy!

Internet censorship in Australia? What a complete load of <Note: the remainder of this sensence was snipped by order of Senator Conroy>.

Oi, whatcha torken about? Getcha ugg boots on, grab a can of Bundy, an’ oyl have it out wiff ya at hoy noon.

yep, born and bred here in Melbourne :slight_smile:

If you hate cold, Canada probably shouldn’t be on the list, never mind just Toronto.

I read recently that the Canadian theme can be summed up in 6 words:
Americans: out
French: in
Indians: invisible

It’s like insulting a guy’s family, only he is allowed to do that. Only a fellow Canuck is allowed slap Canada in the face like that.

I’m sure Oz has it’s own particular brands of troubles and breathtaking beauty as well, like everywhere.

Off Topic:

Perhaps Ralph should head up a new breed of violent malcontents a’la Clockwork Orange!

Off Topic:

Yep, that describes Australians perfectly.

toronto is not cold

it’s at the same latitude as chicago, detroit, boston, and the northern part of california

but hey, i put the word out there, and if people wanna stay away, for misconceptions or other reasons, that’s fine

:cool:

cold is a relative term.

it depends on what your reference temperature is.

True. My comment above was based on my one visit to Toronto, when it just happened to be about 20 degrees Celsius colder than I have ever experienced in Melbourne. So maybe I caught it on a bad day; but still, if warmth is a criterion for choosing between Toronto or Melbourne, Melbourne has to win. :slight_smile:

I like Canada, I’ve never been but I’ve never met a Canadian I didn’t like :slight_smile: Is there much work for a web developer in Toronto?

i believe so, please see post #7

:slight_smile:

Yip. Who doesn’t want to live in a city that nudges 40deg celcius in summer and where the surrounding bushland can burst into flame at any time from December through to March.

:tup:

The average maxiimum temperature for Melbourne from Dec. to Mar. ranges from 23.9C - 25.9C according to The Bureau of Meterology’s web page for Melbourne

There are other statistics on that page for rainfall and daily sunshine etc for the rest of the year as well.

I think the weather is a contributing factor to Melbourne still being ranked the 3rd most liveable city in the world.

Australia has 4 out of the top 10 most liveable cities in the world according to the above link

Melbourne is a great city, I was there earlier in the year and loved the place and ppl. It’s vibrant and there’s plenty of web work around so I think it would be a good choice. The only problem I had with Melbourne is the suburbs, every one of them looks the same…flat and featureless which is why I moved to New Zealand instead.

NZ is a great place to live and work, it’s very laid back and friendly, colourful and clean. If you have the skills it wouldn’t be a problem finding a job or even starting your own company, either way you can live like a king without being royalty.

You missed the best 'burbs in the north east, which are hilly and much more diverse. I look over valleys and mountains at the end of my driveway. But yes, a lot of Melbourne is depressingly flat.

I would highly suggest coming to Chicago.
Though there is a reason why you chose to move to Australia. Good luck moving!