This Week in JavaScript - 16 March 2015

Hello and welcome to This Week in JavaScript—a lovingly curated collection of links relating to what’s new and exciting in the world of JS. The complete list is tagged jsweekly. (Don’t forget to check out our weekly .Net roundup too!)

Here today, gone tomorrow

This week we see that Google and others are working on ways to improve on JavaScript, while we say goodbye to a Google project and eventually to IE8.

Experiments with strengthening JavaScript (strong mode)
Advancing JavaScript without breaking the web
Bidding farewell to Google Code
Break up with Internet Explorer 8

Graphics

Creative gooey effects
Building the Earth with WebGL and JavaScript
Fun with physics in data visualization

Going deeper

HTML5 local storage revisited
What’s the deal with jQuery deferred objects and promises?
Real Constants in JavaScript with the ES6 const Keyword

Apps

12 Skills you need to build a damn good web app
Build Your own Simplified AngularJS in 200 Lines of JavaScript

Testing

A Comparison of JavaScript Linting Tools
Integrating Jasmine with RequireJs
How to self detect a memory leak in node

That’s all for this week

I hope you’ve enjoyed working through these links. Before I leave you, here’s a discussion on Reddit where someone asks Why JavaScript?

Please PM us if you have anything of interest for the next issue, and happy reading! - Paul and Pullo.

1 Like

Here’s another good link for this week: Real Constants in JavaScript with the ES6 const Keyword.

For anyone that’s not come across it, the Drip of JavaScript mailing list offers short, concise posts about cool JavaScript features (usually explained using super heroes).

2 Likes

Thanks Pullo - that one arrived in yesterdays email and I was going to leave it for you to include with next week’s update. Given that you’ve brought it up though I’ll include it in with the above collection.

Yeah, there’s some good stuff coming in ES6.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.