This Week in JavaScript - 21 October 2013

This is a weekly update of some interesting things relating to JavaScript, to help encourage discussion and to bring some potentially new ideas to the fore.

Here’s what we’ve seen of interest this week.

Beginner

Thinking Inside The Box With Vanilla JavaScript - a quick look at some underused native, more-or-less cross-browser JS features.

JavaScript Fundamentals - if it’s not fun, it’s not JavaScript!

HTML5 Browser Storage: the Past, Present and Future - a brief but comprehensive overview by Craig Buckler.

Intermediate

6 Tips for Creating AJAX-Heavy Websites - what to do and when to do it.

Advanced

Tips to Avoid Brittle UI Tests - this follows on from [URL=“http://net.tutsplus.com/tutorials/maintainable-automated-ui-tests/”]Maintainable Automated UI Tests (featured last week).

Applicative Programming In JavaScript With lodash.js - an insight into functional programming with JavaScript. Thanks to @myty ; for this one.

Libraries

Odometer - a Javascript and CSS library for smoothly transitioning numbers.

Watching

1024+ Seconds of JS Wizardry - a talk given by Martin Kleppe at JSConf EU 2013. Very entertaining, but it will make your brain hurt.

Take a look at these recent happenings in JavaScript, let us know what you think about them, and we’ll have some more to inspire you next week.

Feel free to PM Paul or [URL=“http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=184222”]PM me if you have anything interesting for the next issue. Happy reading!

He does… but it is because he’s got such a strong accent that sometimes it is hard to understand what he says :lol:

I know what you mean, but living in Germany I kind of don’t notice any more.
I think I would find it harder to watch if he has a Spanish accent :slight_smile:

Yes, I bet you would. I do too! :lol:

Wow keep this stuff up! This is great. I loved mumbly-german-dude’s talk, reminded me of the too-short WAT lightning talk, and I was re-introduced to that table API code that I know I’ll be using to rewrite some slow-*ss jQuery junk we’re doing now.

++

Thinking Inside The Box With Vanilla JavaScript - a quick look at some underused native, more-or-less cross-browser JS features.

I love simple JS tools like that. Others I’ve recently discovered include classList, querySelector, textContent and scrollIntoView.