This Week in JavaScript - 28 October 2013

Your weekly update of interesting happenings in the world of JavaScript - feel free to discuss, and help to bring some new ideas to light.

Here’s what we’ve seen of interest this week.

Learn more

JavaScript’s call v apply v bind - a reference for each of these similar methods
Bind, call and apply in JavaScript - a detailed look, helping you to understand these highly useful functions

Testing

Chance - a minimalist generator of random [1] strings, numbers, etc.

check-types.js - a tiny JavaScript library for checking arguments and throwing exceptions

Troubleshooting

JavaScript has a Unicode problem - the issues you will face and what can be done about them

Performance

seamless touch event mapping for your click events - for speedy touch-events

Analysis: Just how complex is your JavaScript code?

Fast retro gaming on mobile- emulating the Sega Master System

Libraries

Handpicked jQuery Plugins Repository - highlighting the best of what’s out there

Frameworks

Learn Node and JavaScript at Node School

An Angular Workflow - taking you through front end web development with Angularjs

Building a Google Calendar Booking App with MongoDB, ExpressJS, AngularJS, and Node.js – Part 1

The lighter side

Musical Keyboard - a virtual synthesizer created using JS Dynamic Audio Synth

what you think about these recent happenings in JavaScript? Let us know and we’ll have some more to inspire you next week.

Feel free to PM me or [URL=“http://www.sitepoint.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=184222”]PM Pullo if you have anything interesting for the next issue. Happy reading!

call&apply vs. bind

• call&apply are “now”, bind is “defer”
  • call&apply immediately evaluate, bind establishes a reference

Another interesting post on the subject: https://variadic.me/posts/2013-10-22-bind-call-and-apply-in-javascript.html

Thanks @myty - that article makes it much easier to understand these different methods - I’ll add this recent article to the above list too.

Thank you back @paul_wilkins; So far I enjoyed reading Frameworks and The lighter side.