This Week in JavaScript - 29 June 2015

Hello and welcome to This Week in JavaScript—a lovingly curated collection of links relating to what’s new and exciting in the world of JS. The complete list is tagged jsweekly. (Don’t forget to check out our weekly .NET and front end roundups too!)

There has been so much going on these past couple of weeks. The biggest news, I guess, was that ECMAScript 2015 was approved. This means the most significant update to ECMAScript since 1999 is now completed and has become an international standard. In other news, Webassembly was announced, which is a new low-level binary compile format that will do a better job at being a compiler target than JavaScript. Exciting times, huh?

##ReactJS

##Tools and Libraries

##Frameworks

##Node

##Everything Else

##Pen of the Week
Holy running cow. Such udderly perfect moovement.

I hope you’ve enjoyed working through these links. If you want more links like this and to keep up-to-date with the latest goings on in JS land, you can follow SitePoint’s JavaScript channel on Twitter.

Please PM us if you have anything of interest for the next issue or if there is anything you would like to see featured. Paul and Pullo.

1 Like

Wow, that dancing cow is amazing. It doesn’t look like enough code to get all that happening. Amazing what can happen in the browser these days.

1 Like

The demo is done using three.js. If you check out their homepage, there are all kinds of amazing projects showcased there.

1 Like

Some mind boggling demos there.

Ah, right. Didn’t notice that bit. :slight_smile:

Hm, the first one I clicked on just gave me a black screen (brand new Mac laptop). :frowning:

The Mac sounds broken. Take it back : )

1 Like

Seriously though, I’m running Linux here and I find that a lot of these animation intensive demos spike the CPU and sometimes even cause the page to become unresponsive. That is a bit of a pain.

A couple of the ones we had on the main site recently (example) also caused my iPad to crash.

Yes a couple took a while to load. The first one with the mesh curtain has very realistic motion.

1 Like

More animation craziness. Chect this out: http://akirodic.com/p/jellyfish/

2 Likes

Amazing. The light reflections on the surfaces make it seem real.

Yeah, but turn off JS and those pages are totally broken … Joke! Only joking! Truly! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Yes and what annoys me most is if I turn off my computer all I get is a blank screen. What about graceful degradation :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yep, if they were doing their job properly, they’d supply a picture book or something for when that happens.

1 Like

When I turn off my screen all my computer books still work as does a pencil and paper - I consider that to be an adequate fallback except when I am trying to upload to the web.

Yeah, until your batteries run out …

I just turned off my PC and I couldn’t access SitePoint. I was so outraged I put a brick through my monitor. I’ll be sending SitePoint the bill!

3 Likes

Are they in brail :smile:

what batteries - they are all hard copy print books - several hundred of them

No but we have plenty of candles.

I was talking about your batteries running out—like when you die. Guess I’ll have to work on that joke a bit. :stuck_out_tongue:

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.