Thoughts on .RU domain extension?

Was thinking about regging a .ru domain for a startup. Is it worth it? I know .io and .co are used a lot by startups. But never actually seen a real life .ru example outside of Russia.

Why would you want a .ru domain - there must be a reason you are considering it over all the rest.

Personally I would not consider it unless I was targeting the Russian market.

to register a RU domain, you need to send an ID proof to the registrar, as far as I know.

Not sure why you consider RU for a startup, though.

Honestly, I block the *.ru TLD. Too much spam and malware coming from there.

Not the best choice of TLD, IMHO.

2 Likes

Generally I would think you would want to stick to country TLDs that weren’t used often by their native countries. *.io is Indian Ocean, not alot of native use. *.co is Colombia, again not a lot of Colombian use.

*.ru is pretty heavily used. Unless you’re marketing your site in Russian, you probably shouldn’t.

Also, this reads like it’s not even available to register. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.ru

On 1 January 2005 the former registry Russian Institute for Public Networks (RIPN) has fully stopped to provide operations for registrations directly under .ru but still carries out registry operations for the third-level domain names under .com.ru, .net.ru, .org.ru and .pp.ru.

Country Code TLDs are under full control of their native countries. Some, especially from religious countries, have more rules governing the content hosted on them than a lot of the stricter web hosts. They can revoke your access at any time for any reason. Given the current instability of Russian relations with the west, I wouldn’t think this it would be a smart move to brand your company under their TLD even if it was available.

2 letter ccTLDs can be cool and I love them. But they aren’t like .com or .org, they come with more rules, regulations, and many more considerations than just “I want to register mywebsi.te

I see little point purchasing a .ru if it isn’t going to be Russian website.

Generally I would think you would want to stick to country TLDs that weren’t used often by their native countries. *.io is Indian Ocean, not alot of native use. *.co is Colombia, again not a lot of Colombian use.

This is true, and Google and other search engines will treat a ccTLD as a gccTLD if its usage in that manner becomes widespread. I have a .co domain and it’s been fine from a discoverability perspective, and it hasn’t been confusing when I speak out the domain to people. However, I wouldn’t use a .ru because that TLD still has strong connotations with Russia specifically and doesn’t have widespread use elsewhere.

Yeah I would say going for a ‘.ru’ outside of russia is a bit odd as surely there will be negative points against you immediately for seo ranking in the US etc… I could be wrong.

It’s been over two months and the OP has never returned.