Threaded View for Comments on Sitepoint Articles

Thanks for fueling my growing hatred against the latest flat-design trend epidemic.

How do i at least turn on threaded view, so i can read things like in a normal comment-system?

This probably isn’t the right place to ask, but using this …thing, is like feeling my way in a blizzard of white-space and unorganized content.

I have been looking for this one setting, or somewhere to look it up, or somewhere to look up how to look things up here, now for an hour, and i feel sick.

1 Like

If you mean the normal linear view, that’s the default. A few people have complained about things being jumbled up, perhaps because they follow the Reply links, but I just ignore those, personally.

I was going to comment about the topic, but got sidelined for a hour trying to get this MF POS ¤%&%# comment.-system in some resemblance of a useful state.

Can someone for the love of Pesci, please tell me how i can get it to at least display all the comments in a normal threaded view, like every other functioning comment-system on the planet, so i don’t have to “unfold” one meelion divs on every page, and then have one meelion copies of every comment spread out in a blizzard of white-space.

[quote=“MatsSvensson, post:358, topic:741”]
This probably isn’t the right place to ask, …[/quote]

Try your luck at

How are you trying to use the forum? It’s just one long line of sequential replies by default.

Don’t click the button. You don’t need to (at least I never do). Just read down the thread naturally.

Got a screen capture and browser info?

There was a post showing this exact same problem, with screen-grab.
Its somewhere up there points, in the colossal enormous unlnikable infinite scroll.

Answers to answers to answers, form a hierachy.
Dispalying tht “flat”, is useless to me.
I want threads, and i dont want the same content in several copies, spread put all over the page.

Thanks, but that like telleing people to go to google.com for answers.

Thanks, but that like telleing people to go to google.com for answers.

You know of websites using their software as a forum?

And “Reply as linked Topic” ?

What does that even mean?

What do i reply as, when i dont reply as linked Topic?

Yes, that’s not very intuitive, but it means “create a new forum thread that refers back to this one”. Say, when you want to start a new topic that might tangential to the current one but deserves its own thread.

Aha.
I would never have guessed that.
And searching for the answer in help, gives no clues.

It used to be called “Reply as new topic”, which was somewhat clearer, in my opinion, but you’re not alone in finding Discourse unintuitive.

2 Likes

We haven’t had threaded views on the forums for a long time, if at all, as far as I’m aware … I’ve been around since 2006 and I don’t remember anything other than a flat structure (although that could be fading memory).

The #postnumber on the right of each post gives a permalink to that particular post. I know it’s not completely intuitive, but it’s a fairly common tactic IMX.

You missed finding this (it has a lot of other helpful information)

1 Like

I’ve been around since 1998 (before SitePoint was SitePoint), and we’ve never had threaded forums. Started with UBB (I think…mighta been UltraBoard but don’t think so), then we went to vBulletin in 1999, then we moved here to Discourse this year.

And that’s a quote from where…?