To do or don't: automatic currency converter

Hey folks,

I stand with a small dilemma that some of you might be able to help me with.

I have a store that sells bicycles and accessories online, and I am wondering whether or not I should install a script which will display the price based on the user’s IP address below the price in euro.

Yes: Consumer doesn’t have to convert from euro to his own currency.

No: Consumer might think that he can pay in that currency. The currency might not reflect the actual one 100%. More prices and info can only be misleading and confusing.

I am leading towards the no-side, but I would like to hear your opinions :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you selling your products across your nation? If your major target people is local people, I don’t think there is a need to display their currency. Moreover, it will mislead the visitors when they intend to make payment, unless you accept currency other than Euro.

I am selling products all over the globe - from the states to Japan and across.

You could give the price in €uros first, and then underneath, say something like:

That’s roughly £(whatever).
Please note, this figure is for guidance only – all payments will be made in €uros and currency conversion will be at the card issuer’s applicable rate

(I’m assuming that it is the card issuer that sets the rate, but change that if it isn’t!)

Unless you stream the currency rates from some reliable source, I wouldn’t do it. The EUR fluctuates a lot, and giving a figure that’s way off is much worse than not giving a figure at all.

I wouldn’t, because I agree that users will think that paying in their local currency is an option. Adding 1-2 sentences explaining the situation is just going to add complexity to the page.

A middle ground might be a link or icon to open the conversion in a modal window, which would give you the space and user focus to explain that payments are in Euro only, and the conversion is an approximation.

I want to know which ecommerce store system you are using.for me, i do use zen cart which is very convenient to add extra currency option in the product detail under the price.maybe you can also find the store plugin to do it.