Tomcat 6 -- need alternate port no., can't use 8080

why is there no J2EE forum???

I just installed Tomcat 6 on Windows XP, can’t run on port 8080 because another server on the same machine is using that…

what other port(s) can I use?

I mean for this setting…

[FONT=Courier New]<Connector port="8080" protocol="HTTP/1.1" 
               connectionTimeout="20000" 
               redirectPort="8443" />[/FONT]

(and there are other port-settings too… do I need to change those also? like

[FONT=Courier New] <!-- Define an AJP 1.3 Connector on port 8009 -->
    <Connector port="8009" protocol="AJP/1.3" redirectPort="8443" />[/FONT]

and

[FONT=Courier New]<Server port="8005" shutdown="SHUTDOWN">[/FONT]

I set up necessary env vars (JAVA_HOME, CATALINA_HOME), and java/bin is already in the path… have done Tomcat setup many times before, but now just need to know on what alternate port no. I can run it…

for this setting, Connector port=“8080”, tired port no. 8181… but Tomcat won’t start up (console appears very briefly then disappears when I hit that startup.bat…)

thank you…

Take a look here:http://stackoverflow.com/questions/4756039/how-to-change-the-port-of-tomcat-from-8080-to-80

Or here: http://www.digizol.com/2008/06/tomcat-how-to-change-port-8080.html

Run it from the command line to see the error message, or look in the logs folder, tomcat will tell you what the issue is.

Run netstat -a to see what is listening on your server there.

IIRC you just need to change the first one, you probably aren’t running ajp.

well, the “issue” was I just needed to know WHAT no. to use for port, since couldn’t use 8080… so read solution other person posted, last night at home… so just for the hell of it, tried it at home, changed to port 8007, it worked fine… but here, did the same, thing, changed port to 8007, Tomcat won’t start up, so following yr suggestion navigated to tomcat/bin/ in DOS shell and ran startup.bat from there, got the following:

C:\\Program Files\\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\\bin>startup.bat
Using CATALINA_BASE:   "C:\\Program Files\\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\\"
Using CATALINA_HOME:   "C:\\Program Files\\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\\"
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: "C:\\Program Files\\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\\\	emp"
Using JRE_HOME:        "C:\\Program Files\\Java\\jdk1.6.0_33\\"
Using CLASSPATH:       "C:\\Program Files\\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\\\\bin\\bootstrap.jar"

JAVA_HOME is not mentioned here… only JRE_HOME, but I did not set that var… I set JAVA_HOME to C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_33\

another DOS window opened very briefly then closed… server is still not running… have it on port 8007 now…

thank you…

Did you look at the logs?

The doubled slash in the classpath might be a problem too.

You might also need to run as administrator, the tomcat setup we have is on pre-modern versions of windows.

CLASSPATH is not an env var set in Windows… that’s an internal Tomcat thing… I searched for “bootstrap.jar” in all of Tomcat, found in some XML files, but nowhere with two back-slashes in front of “bootstrap.jar”… so where is that 2nd back-slash being added?

(in all the years I’ve been working with Tomcat I’ve never set classpath env var…)

not sure what you mean by “run as administrator”… (I do have admin privileges on this machine, but not sure what you mean…)

thank you…

Windows has UAC which prevents even administrative users from writing files in protected places.

Looking at your paths I think I might see the problem — try installing tomcat outside of program files and see what happens. It is probably trying to write log files there and dying.

oh man… thank you for yr response… now am running it on c: drive… this is what I get when run startup.bat in DOS shell:

C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\bin>startup.bat
Using CATALINA_BASE: “C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\”
Using CATALINA_HOME: “C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\”
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: “C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\\ emp”
Using JRE_HOME: “C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_33\”
Using CLASSPATH: “C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\\bin\bootstrap.jar”
C:\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\bin>

there is some improvement, as I still see the console appear briefly and disappear, but it stays open a bit longer…:wink: in a about a sec. it closes…

thank you…

You should have a log in the c:\apache-tomcat-6.0.36\log folder, probably could help alot here.

oh man… the logs dir is EMPTY…

hmmm…

thank you…