Tooltip in INPUT element

We are doing web programming in school. I am supposed to write something that will do a tooltip when you either enter an input box or roll over an input box. It is not supposed to be a javascript alert, but a tooltip. This is what I currently have:

<td><input type=“input” id=“fName” name=“fName” OnKeypress=“return isNumberKey(event)” size=“5” maxlength=“20” /></td>

We haven’t learned JavaScript, I couldn’t find anything online, and it’s due tomorrow. I found some javascript that will check to make sure that a number isn’t being entered into the input box. Does anyone have a script that does a tooltip? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

try using a TITLE attribute for the INPUT tag

by the way, this isn’t a CF question so i’ll move it to the HTML forum

Yeah, that’s what I thought, but that isn’t what they are looking for. They are looking for an actual tooltip.

okay, in your own words, what is an “actual” tooltip?

A title attribute will only work for mouse hover anyway, not for keyboard focus.

You could do this with some CSS trickery and an extra HTML element or two, but I don’t think you can get it to work in IE6 without JavaScript.

I have found that there is a CF tag called <cftooltip> that can be used to handle such a request. Thanks for the input fellas.