Tracking searched keywords -> sales?

Hi,

I’m looking to identify the most profitable keywords that people use to arrive on my site from the organic seach results. I need to capture the keywords from the referring page, and then tally the sales that each keyword generates.

Can anyone advise me as to the best way to do this?

Many thanks,
Mike

Google Analytics will do this for you. Google analytics show you which keywords visitors found your website through.

First, sign up for google analytics free
2. Log in to your google analytics account and sign up your domain/website url.
3. Place the provided javascript code onto the bottom of all the pages which you would like to track.
4. After a 24 hour period, login to your google analytics account for that domain to see the results, the results will be automatically updated throughout time.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, but I think what you are suggesting will only show me what keywords people used to find the site. I want to find which keywords people people who made a puchase used to find my site.

So I’m guessing that I’d need to capture the keywords from the http-referrer info from google store this somewhere, and then if someone hits my thankyou page (after making a pruchase) tally the two together.

Thanks