Transfer of Domain--Auth Code Emailed

I’ve never transferred a domain name before. I’m trying to “move” a domain name out of Dotster. Without getting all long, wordy, and confusing, this is for a non-profit and the guy that used to do it is “semi-cooperative” at best. I believe I understand the process; I got the guy’s log-in info at Dotster and got the authorization code (EPP) emailed to him (he was the registrant… well actually still is)

As I said, he’s not very responsive so my question is:
Do I simply need the EPP code (ie a copy of that email with the code) which I could provide to my host of choice?
versus…
Will he need to follow directions and click on things (as in, will he have to do things that originate from his email address)?

I hope that made sense. Thank you.

I deal almost entirely with .uk domains, which use a different process.

But IIRC, the registrant needs to ensure the domain is unlocked (I presume it is, or I think you wouldn’t have been able to get the EPP code). You submit the code to the new registrar, and an e-mail is sent to the registrant, asking them to confirm that they want the transfer to go ahead - simply by clicking a link in the e-mail, I think.

As I say, it’s been some years since I dealt with a .com which required this process. You should be able to find more information from either the old or new registrar - they generally have an FAQs section with this kind of stuff.

Should anyone else be interested…

(yes, the domain owner gave me the log-on/password so I unlocked and had the email sent)
But this guy (who is the registrant, has to click and do things.) The support at the hosting provider is quite good. I was hoping I could just forward the EPP/auth code from the original domain owner, But I guess that won’t work.

sigh

I guess I should have followed up on this topic, in case someone else can learn from my experience.

It appears that the registrar “releasing” the domain has 5 days. After our recalcitrant domain owner blessed off on the deal, it took 3 days (including the nameserver stuff.)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.