Transition from Snippet to Article

How do you transition from an article snippet (e.g. on the Home Page) to the actual article itself?

At first, I just grabbed the first paragraph of my larger article, but then it occured to me that just ending with “…” doesn’t seem quite right.

And I believe having “Click here to see more” is frowned upon.

“Read more…”?

SP uses this

Could I just hyperlink the trailing part of the snippet?

Is the trailing part of the snippet always going to be something which makes sense as a hyperlink?

In the last few years there has been a rise in the use of front-end frameworks. These tools, such as Bootstrap and Foundation, allow developers create web sites and apps quickly. Instead of needing to style up your own buttons and nav bars these frameworks do all of the heavy lifting for you.

To me, that would seem very awkward as a “read more” link, but only you know what content you’ll have and the context.

So what is the solution?

There has to be a way to do things that works in all or at least most situations.

I’d understood the reason for ‘Click Here’ being frowned upon, was for accessibility reasons, as it doesn’t mean too much for someone using a screen reader - @DaveMaxwell’s approach makes much more sense in that context.

You haven’t said what was wrong with the two solutions already offered, so it’s a bit hard to know what else to suggest.

1 Like

Because I didn’t see the difference from what I thought was wrong in my OP and what your recommended.

Then I’m sorry but I have no further suggestions.

Or maybe you could help me understand the difference.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.