Tricky table mess thats over my head?

Hello :),

Here is the page with the problem… http://tinyurl.com/ykawpfa

This has been nagging me for years, so I thought I’d finally try and fix it. The problem is the 4px black top border (actually it’s just a black background on the td’s) that wraps the entire container is missing in FX, and Safari. In Opera it’s there, but it’s about 10px in height. All versions of IE show it perfect! So I’d like them all to look like it does in IE.

I’m totally-table-tarded, but I believe the problem lies in this code near the top. If you for instance change the width in the first td to 100%, that seems to fix FX but has no effect on Safari or Opera. I tried some things, but I have no idea how tables perform and behave, so I have limited ideas on how to fix it.

<!--top header black-->
<tr>
   <td CLASS="border" ROWSPAN="4" WIDTH="4" HEIGHT="1">&nbsp;</td>
   <td CLASS="border" WIDTH="100%" height="4" COLSPAN="3" ALIGN="left">&nbsp;</td>
   <td CLASS="border" ROWSPAN="4" WIDTH="4" HEIGHT="1">&nbsp;</td>
</tr>
<!--end top header black-->

As you should see by now, I did not code this, only stuck with it. There are about 150 identical pages like this one that make up this virtual tour. So, I would much prefer to find a pure CSS fix so I don’t have to change the source code in all 150 pages. Of course I can probably just use “search and replace” - but I never fully trust that and prefer not to use it on such a large scale. Thanks a lot for any ideas!

Yuck, that’s a mess.

I fixed your issue in Firefox quickly. Don’t know if it works in other browsers though.

I removed that entire top section you’ve listed above, as it’s not necessary. Then, for the table one level down from that (that seems to hold that top nav. section) I gave a new class name then set the border-top: 4px solid black; for that class.

Hope that helps. :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot ferrari chris that looks like it works perfect in all! Only problem is, there aren’t any unique classes or anything in that table, so I don’t see a way to do search and replace. So it looks like to fix I’ll have to go in to each of 150 pages and make the changes. Any tricky way of doing that in DW that I have not thought of? Either way, thanks bro for the fix. If need be, I’ll just bear down and take the 2 hours it will take to do this.

You can search and replace large pieces of text in DW as far as I know, so you could replace the entire “header” section of each file. And you might be able to do a bulk replace (replace all) as well.

Be sure to make a complete backup though, as it might take a couple of attempts to get the exact HTML in the search and replace boxes! Good luck.

If you are going to the trouble of editing about 150 identical sections of code I would be tempted to replace the identical scripts with a common include so that future modifications will only involve changing the common included file.

// If HTML
  <!--#include FILE="my-new-header.htm" -->

// if PHP
  <?php include "my-new-header.htm" ?>