Triggering separate animations on each click through a callback

Hi, I’m having trouble to get my code to work as I want.

I have a list of products on a page, each product contains it’s own <form> which allows the user to set a quantity and add the product to the cart. This is done via AJAX. Once the item has been added a small banner appears over the product image that says ‘Added’ and then disappears. Here’s the code that handles this:

// Create some HTML for the confirmation message
var addedMessage = $('<div style="display:none;" class="item-added">ADDED</div>');

// Add an item to the cart
$(document).on('submit', 'form.add-to-cart-form', function(e){

e.preventDefault();

// Find elements within this form
    submitButton = $(this).find('input.submit'); // The 'Add to cart' submit button
    qtyInput     = $(this).find('input.qty'); // The quantity input
    product_id   = $(this).find('input.product_id').val(); // A hidden input that holds the product id
    productHTML  = $('#product'+product_id).find('.inside'); // The div that wraps this product

// Get the original button text
    submitButtonText = submitButton.val();

// Let the user know something is happening
    submitButton.val('Adding...');

// Add an item to the cart and execute the callback when completed
    Cart.addItem(product_id,qtyInput.val(),function(){

// Reset the quantity field back to the default value of 1
        qtyInput.val(1);

// Restore the original button text
        submitButton.val(submitButtonText);

// Add the message to the product's HTML
        message = addedMessage.appendTo(productHTML);

// Slide the message down, then back up and remove from DOM
        message.slideDown(100).delay(1000).slideUp(100, function(){
            message.remove();
        });
    });
});

This works except for the when multiple ‘Add to cart’ buttons are pressed in quick succession. If the animation for the banner from the previous click hasn’t completed then it gets interrupted. In an ideal world I’d like it so that the user could go along a row of products, clicking the ‘Add to cart’ button and the banner for each one would independently animate and complete. Multiple animations could be happening at once.

I sort of understand this happens because I’m changing which element is referenced by message on every click. I just don’t know how to solve it.

Thanks

The reason this happens is because you’re effectively adding the same element to different places. When you call addedMessage.appendTo(productHTML) you are moving the same div around to different places. Instead what you want to do is clone the message item before adding it. jQuery will make a new distinct copy of your message and add that to the DOM.

In your code add .clone() on the line where you append the message to the product HTML

var message = addedMessage.clone().appendTo(productHTML);

See http://jsfiddle.net/GeekyJohn/077fa3kp/ for a working example.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.