Trouble installing sqlite3 (simply rails 2)

I’m working through ‘Simply Rails 2’ and I’m stuck already on page 30, trying to install SQlite. I’m on a OSX 10.5.8, and up to this point things have gone smoothly. I updated my gems and rails for good measure and now I’ve gotten to this point;

I enter

“curl http://www.sqlite.org/sqlite-3.5.4.tar.gz | tar zx”

as instructed and get a successful looking download display;

% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 2043k 100 2043k 0 0 409k 0 0:00:04 0:00:04 --:–:-- 453k

then on the next step I enter;

“cd sqlite-3.5.4”

which adds this onto the end of my prompt. Still working right? so the next step I enter;

“./configure --prefix=/usr/local”

And i start getting error messages. Specifically;

checking build system type… i386-apple-darwin9.8.0
checking host system type… i386-apple-darwin9.8.0
checking for gcc… no
checking for cc… no
checking for cc… no
checking for cl… no
configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH
See `config.log’ for more details.

From here on the commands just return various error messages so its seems that this is where I’ve messed up. Right?
for reference, my computer returns;

“ruby 1.8.6 (2008-08-11 patchlevel 287) [universal-darwin9.0]”
and
“Rails 2.3.5”

from the corresponding “-v” inquiry. And even when I enter
“sqlite3 --version” It returns 3.4.0 but further steps just return errors. Anyone know the answer? I’m certain I’ve missed something incredibly simple yet important, as I pretty new to this.

Thanks for any help you can give me!!

Hi snstuck. Because it might not be clear to you, I’ll explain what’s going on. When you download a package or library as a .tar.gz file, you’re actually getting the source code of the library. The next series of commands are compiling that code and moving the compiled library into the appropriate location on your system.

./configure is a pre-compilation configuration script, you’re just overriding the default location of the library to be /usr/local, and checking to make sure that everything required to compile the library is present on your computer…

But oops, it isn’t: in order to compile C source code, you need to have a C compiler, which isn’t installed in Mac OS X by default. You need to install the Xcode developer tools from the Apple website.

http://connect.apple.com/. You’ll need to register for an Apple Developer Connection account. Once you’ve registered, login and click Download Software and then Developer Tools. Find the Download link next to Xcode Tools (version) – CD Image