Trouble uploading .xml to my google sites

I know I am having a major senior moment here, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to upload my .xml sitemap to my google site. If someone would be able to post step by step instructions for me I would greatly appreciate it. I have spent three days searching the Internet to find some instructions to no avail. I have tried ftp, copy and paste, and right now am totally lost. I have read and reread the webmaster page on google’s site and still can’t get it uploaded. Thank you in advance to anyone who will be able to assist me.

1 Like

Hi DeAnnVgbs, welcome to the forums

Do you have a Google Webmaster Tools Account?

Mittineague,
Thank you for replying. Yes, I have an account. The problem is they do not go into detail about how to upload the file, like what program to use to upload it. And where in the heck to you upload it to? That is the problem that I am having. I do not know how to get it uploaded.
DeAnnVgbs

The sitemap.xml file should go under your site’s main public html root folder (where the “home” page file is, you could put it somewhere else I suppose, but that is the “default” location), alongside your robots.txt and favicon.ico files and any other files you have there.

Then after you log in to your Google account there should be an “add” next to the site that you want to submit the sitemap for. Enter the URL to it and “submit”.

The problem is that I cannot get it uploaded. I have an ftp program, actually two of them. They cannot connect to the site for some reason. What program do you recommend to get this uploaded?

Do you use cpanel access of the site?? … If yes … then search for file manager . and use it … its simple

what is cpanel?

well cpanel is the tool to manage the site … is this site hosted by you … if yes search for the registration mail there must be something on port 2082 or 2083 or simple search for cpanel … which hosting provider are you using …

I designed it using Google Sites and they are the host. I own the domain name that is all.

cPanel is a common admin Control Panel app.

Anyway, since you’re hosting your site on Google, they’ve done most of the work for you http://www.google.com/support/sites/bin/answer.py?answer=100283&topic=15324

How do I submit a sitemap to Google Webmaster tools?

Once you have verified your site with Google Webmaster tools, Google Sites will auto-generate a sitemap xml file. Your sitemap will be generated at:

http://sites.google.com/a/(your domain)/(site name)/system/feeds/sitemap for Google Apps.
http://sites.google.com/site/(site name)/system/feeds/sitemap for sites under sites.google.com/site

Once these Sitemaps have been created, you can submit them to Google using Webmaster Tools.

Please note: your site must be marked as a public site in order for it to be verified.

My site has been verified. When I go to the sites.google.com/site that you list above I get an error message telling me that it cannot find the site. It is marked as public and it has been verified. I tried inputting …/site/valleygrants/system… I get the error message. What am I doing wrong?

My site has been verified. When I go to the sites.google.com/site that you list above I get an error message telling me that it cannot find the site. It is marked as public and it has been verified. I tried inputting …/site/valleygrants/system… I get the error message. What am I doing wrong?

Using your browser, can you go to and see the HTML pages of your site OK?
I tried going to

but got a page with
“We’re sorry, we were unable to locate the site”

Yes, I am able to view the HTML without a problem. I can’t post the web address because I haven’t made 10 posts yet. But if you can understand this here it is in words: www then a dot, valleygrants then a dot then the word com.

Ah, that explains it. There’s some kind of domain name mapping going on, That is, the physical location might be sites.google.com/whatever but HTTP request are sent to it, you don’t use the actual location for the URL

Your sitemap is here http://www.valleygrants.com/system/feeds/sitemap
Try entering that in your Google dashboard.

Mittineague,
You are a genius! Thank you so very much! I have been trying for over a week now to get that darned thing uploaded. I am so happy that someone knew how to do it. Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.
lol I have printed out every single page from the help stuff. Now I need a three ring binder to organize it all. lol
Thanks again.
DeAnnVgbs

1 Like

Thank you for the thanks.

I may have had a 3.9 GPA but I still go outside barefoot in the Winter and leave my umbrella at home when it rain :wink:

wow, I had this same problem, thanks!