Troubleshooting demo data issues

I’d like to know how to troubleshoot the following issues.

I’m using a theme that has an options panel to install demo data.
When I click on install data I get a message that it was installed successfully however nothing is installed at all.

So how do I get to know what the issue is? How do I troubleshoot this issue?
Many thanks

Have you contacted the developer for support?

I have but I would like to learn or know how to debug / troubleshoot these things on my own without having to support which takes too long.

Is there a way where I can find out if the issue is theme related or hosting related and what actually is the issue and if I can have a poke at solving it myself?

Probably the first thing you could do is use your browser’s dev tools.
i.e. look at the console for errors warnings notices and anything logged.

Then look at the code in the files, using your knowledge to try and spot potential problems.

when I’m doing the import I’m in the backend. I press import and the import says successful ( but no import )
So where hand how should I use the devtools?

I’m familiar with inspect element but not sure how I would use it with an import issue?

Many thanks

Can you track down the code behind the import button? Maybe there’s a clue there as to where the data is supposed to be coming from.

That’s good. I find it very useful for finding selectors.

In this case, look for something you can grep to point you to involved files

The key point here is, you need to look at the code and use your knowledge to identify potential problems that you can test further

A couple of other things to check;

1. Is the addon compatible with your CMS?
  2. Does your hosting/server meet the minimum requirements for the CMS and addon?
  3. is any data being written to the database at all?
  4. What sort of data does it install? Are you looking in the right publishing section?
1 Like

Can you tell us what the theme is?

ok some good suggesttions here.

@bluedreamer

2 - How do I check the hosting/server meet the minimum requirements?
4 - It should be installing pages and posts, nothing there at all.

@chrisofarabia it’s a theme called education theme

@Mittineague ok I will get my googles on and go for a swim, see what i can find

All software, including Wordpress, has a list of minimum server requirements, usually a minimum PHP and mySQL version, and possibly some specific PHP functions, your addon may also have similar requirements - looks at the vendors web site for detail then match that against what your web host gives you.

If no data has been added it suggests the plugin doesn’t work with your Wordpress version or hosting setup.

OK, thanks. I’d hoped it might have been a free theme that we could have poked around in to answer the question. However…

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.