Trying to mirror laptop on second monitor

I have a fairly new laptop with an ATI Radeon card and I’m trying to mirror the laptop’s display on a second monitor. I’ve plugged the monitor’s cable into the VGA port on the laptop. But the monitor is acting as an extension of my laptop screen. So it is blank, but if I move my cursor on the laptop far to the right, it will appear on the monitor.

If I access the ATI panel for the Displays, I can switch over to the monitor, but then my laptop is blank (ie. not mirrored).

Any ideas on how I can get the mirroring to work correctly?

Thanks,
Ron

I had the “extend my Windows desktop onto this monitor” checked, which I don’t think I want. So, I unchecked it and now the 2nd monitor has no signal.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Ron

I do not have the ATI control panel in front of me but I am confident that the panel has this functionality. Some laptops also have a FN + CRT/LCD button which will allow you to cycle through options for the multiple displays. I on a Dell currently and it uses the FN button and depending on brand yours may something else.

Falsealarm … Thank you! I didn’t realize there was a FN for dual monitors, but sure enough there is and it’s working now. Thanks again!

Ron

No problem. Glad it is working for you now.

Actually, I do have a quick question. The laptop has a widescreen, but the monitor does not, so the display on the monitor is somewhat distorted and unclear. Which isn’t great for a presentation. Is there any way to fix this or is this typical of mirroring on another monitor?

Thanks,
Ron

You should be able to set the resolutions on each monitor individually. This can only be done through the ATI control panel. Since I do not have the control panel in front of me I can’t give you specific instructions however check for a display settings tab in the control panel.

Can you do this on XP? I’ve been changing the resolution manually!!!

S