TweetDeck

Thought I’d have a look at the latest downloadable version of Tweetdeck but the install crashes trying to access “C:\Program Files” - something it shouldn’t be trying to access at all since the C: drive is the operating system drive and applications such as Tweetdeck go on my D: drive.

How do I tell the application that it should install as an application and not try to pretend to be an operating system?

Are you saying that your Program Files folder is in your D drive? that’s strange. Even if your profile is in your D: drive, that would affect only to the personal configuration of your programs (your cookies and some temp files which are not saved in the generic windows, personal data that many software need to finish the configuration of screens, e-mail, the configuation of printers…)

But the installation of any software and the generic configuration should go to Program Files and that’s supposed to be in C. Although most programs do let you choose the folder where you can’t install, not all of them do.

I’ll try to install tweedeck latest version but I suspect that if it doesn’t let you do it, then it is because in needs to stay in Program Files.

No it isn’t.

I have my computer set up with C: = operating system, D: = programs and E: = my data - so the Program Files folder therefore belongs on the D drive as programs are not the operating system (with the exception of a program called Windows).

All of the programs work quite happily from the Program Files folder which is on my D drive - obviously the answer is that the authors of the latest Tweetdeck are brainless morons who don’t understand that the Program Files folder can be on any drive and on a properly organised computer where the hard drive has been partitioned to keep programs separate from the operating system that location will not be on C:

I understand that you changed the registry key accordingly, then

While I agree that user control is reasonable your remark strikes me as overly harsh. Deciding not to build something that 99% of your users won’t use hardly makes you worthy of being insulted although that may certainly be a reason for you not to use them, even to share a negative review. TweetDeck has been known for downtime and bugs over the years and I suspect those would be higher priorities for their team.

It’s one of the better management products out there but not the only one so perhaps your best bet is to try another tool?

I currently have an earlier version of Tweetdeck installed - it asked where I wanted to install it and then installed where I told it to. I wouldn’t have been as harsh in my comment if it were not that the install process for that software used to cater for installing where ever you want and that it has since been changed to remove that option. It would be a different matter if the software never had that option in the first place.

The other thing that is different in this instance is that with all other software when I decide to install a new version the installer recognises that there is already a prior version installed and assumes that I want to remove the old version and install it in its place. This installer just crashes trying to access a folder that it doesn’t have access to rather than recognising that there is already an old version installed in a folder that it does have access to that it can replace.

Which registry key changes the default location for programs that forget to ask where they are to be installed?

All other programs that I have tried to install except Google Chrome all asked and got told to install on D - with Chrome I installed the portable version instead which looks to be the same as the regular version except that during the install process it asks where you want to install it whereas the original doesn’t.

Yes, I was referring to that registry key.

Up to a point, I can understand that it annoys you not be able to choose the location of installation for your software. But sometimes it is necessary that it installs in the default Program Files folder.

Now, I don’t think that’s the case of tweetdeck but maybe some of their bugs were solved by installing in this particular location and that’s the reason it doesn’t let you choose your favourite folder anymore. I don’t know. It may be another bug or a suggestion for the next version.

I don’t pretend to know their reasons but maybe their installation process has changed for good reason. I think your comment was unnecessarily harsh.

But the one way to solved this is by telling Windows that the defaul program files resided in your d: unit which, after all, is what you do at the moment.

That’s up to you, obviously.

I actually use Tweetdeck in Google Chrome. It works well in Google Chrome you will just add it on Google chrome like a tool, nothing to install. What’s good with this is that, it automatically updates whenever theirs a new version. Hope it helps.

Not really - Google Chrome suffers from the same problem of not allowing you to choose where to install it.

Now that I know that there’s a registry key for the default program folder I’ll see if changing that can get software that don’t have proper installers (such as Google Chrome and Tweetdeck) to install where they should go - onto the application program drive - and not onto the operating system drive.

Anyway the version of TweetDeck that I already have installed works fine - I just thought that the latest version was worth a look - I expect I will be writing a bad review of the latest version some time in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks - that seems to have worked. I hadn’t realised that the default folder location was a registry entry or I’d have updated it long ago the way I did with the My Computer and email folder locations (both on the E drive).

No probs. I would have forgotten about it too if I hadn’t had to migrate 2400 pcs recently :slight_smile:

My husband used to have a job like that. I feel your pain! :smiley: