Twitter & Job Search

I’m new to Twitter and I know that some people create different accounts for ‘business’ and ‘personal’. If I were to search for a new job, I’d want to shield recruiters from my ‘personal’ tweets on the off-chance they that become offended.

If I create a twitter account for ‘fun’ purposes, but change the ‘Name’ field to something besides my real name, is there any way for potential employers to associate particular tweets to me?

If you use a fictional name and don’t put any link into your “fun” twitter account, it’s difficult to trace your identity, it’s possible only through the IP, but I doubt that someone will take the trouble to check …

Why would you want to worry about offending recruiters? Recruiters are the most vile dishonest bunch of sleazebags that exist in our economy! Just try and find an honest recruiter. You won’t!

I think you’re pretty safe pinch.
Lots of us at SPHQ have separate accounts for personal and business tweeting. I think it’s fairly common practice. Just don’t get them mixed up. :wink:

I said recruiter but I really mean anyone who may be vetting me for a job (everyone does a web search these days and twitter accounts usually get ranked quite high).

I think you’re pretty safe pinch.
Lots of us at SPHQ have separate accounts for personal and business tweeting. I think it’s fairly common practice. Just don’t get them mixed up.

I’ll keep that in mind. Thanks for the info. :slight_smile:

Well technically you’re fine… but if your friends sometimes use your name in their tweets… and the employer Googles your name, it’s possible they’ll find you.

You are smart to think of this because employers do look at the net to check out employees or potential employees. But quite frankly, if you’re putting stuff out there that you don’t want an employer to see, you gotta ask your self “What the heck am I doing?” Why put ‘crap’ out there in the first place?

I think its fine if you have a separate business and personal account because you have the right to your privacy.

Why put ‘crap’ out there in the first place?

One person’s crap is another person’s creativity.

Job search on Twitter is not so difficult because there are many things you need to take care while searching for the job on twitter. Search for the groups and agencies who are into the recruitment and then follow people their profession is HR or recruitment.

You can make a fun account and don’t link it to yourself in any way. Even create a separate email for it. But also be careful of what you tweet as sometimes people give out identifying information by accident. have fun.

Just create a new email that does not tie to any social account and use it for job hunting.

Unless your name is not too unique. Searching by name does not work

Twitter is use for promote your website and increase you website page rank
so i think you will not find the job on the twitter according to me …

Twitter is a networking tool. You can network to promote a business or a personal brand alike. There’s no reason you can’t find a job through it… in fact if you’re in the right industry (i.e. one where executives use twitter frequently) it’s a great way to show relevancy, knowledge and go beyond a resume.

If you’re using twitter to push up traffic you’re not maximizing the channel.