Two questions about the new look and feel

Last night, I was searching for an IM buddy of mine from a couple of years ago so I thought I would search within this community. Is there not a Directory (of sorts) of members?

Last question. How does one see what the posting date of the topic is? I know I can click on that thread and look at the stats under the OPs post. I may not want to read an old Topic.

Thanks guys!

Buddy

Nope :frowning:

I need more information, or screenshots of what you are referring to (which view you are on), etc.

As cpradio says, no, there isn’t a directory. But you can use the search function to search by username.

@cpradio

This is the screen I am looking at.

and here is where I have to go to see that date.

It just seems like a lot of work to avoid older topics or to see when it was first asked.

Just my opinion. I’m not upset just curious.

Thanks!

Buddy

Thanks @TechnoBear !

I tried that already. Unfortunately, in the early days he had varying IDs BUT he did have a unique avatar.

No worries. I’ll catch up with him at some point.

Buddy

Okay, the activity column is coldmapped so the older a topic is, the darker the shade of blue it gets. So that is one way.

Another, is click on the post count and you’ll see a modal popup that shows you the creation date and the date/time of the last reply.

1 Like

That’s (a) completely unintuitive and (b) pretty useless for keyboarders - but at least you found the answer.

2 Likes

Yeah, I wasn’t a fan of removing the topic start date/time from the Latest view, but got overruled at Discourse… oh well

1 Like

@cpradio I guess you can’t always win

1 Like

Right on @TechnoBear completely unintuitive. lol

WHAT? You @cpradio Overruled? I thought you ruled that roost. lol

I guess we all have learned to pick and choose our battles! @molona

Thanks guys!

Buddy

Thanks for finding out how to find the date and time of a post, Matt. Beats toggling JS off and on.

“overruled at Discourse” sounds like we have been downgraded from “customer” to “subject”.

It is more of, as a default we don’t want it. If you want it, write a plugin. Which I don’t necessarily disagree with. They need to choose a default they feel fits the majority of their customers and if you wish to alter that, you should do the customization on your instance.

I’m not sure why their default was to remove it when EVERY forum shows it today, but it is their decision to make, we can always alter our instance if it becomes a major problem.

Also, and I need to test this here. There is supposed to be a “warning” when you are replying to an old topic/thread. I’ve yet to see it myself, but I also haven’t attempted to reply to an old topic/thread yet.