Udemy Courses?

What do you guys make of the marketing courses on Udemy? Here’s the thing… I’ve come across some very well reviewed courses on topics like ClickBank, Facebook Marketing, and CPA. But why… why would the creator want to sell this information? Wouldn’t the creator be better off just concentrating on his own work? I’d think by creating these courses he’s only going to create competition.

Now I’m very careful when browsing through the courses. If it gets less than 4 stars I’ll take a pass. That being said, I know some of the creators ask their viewers to leave a review in return they’ll get one of their other courses for free. So it can be challenging sifting through the reviews to make sure it’s good or not.

Anyway, the main thing is… how do you guys feel about Udemy and the concerns I made earlier? I would be curious to know.

I’ve taken two Udemy courses. The last one, an HTML/CSS, Javascript, PHP etc. was okay but I thought the course didn’t deserve the higher rating. Several things bothered me, none of them show stoppers. In one video probably recorded in his office at an University the instructor is interrupted when a colleague arrives. The instructor and his colleague then engage in a conversation which was picked up by the Mic used in recording that particular lesson. This instructor never bothered to edit out this particular distraction. Most video’s would end but continue to play showing an empty screen.

A free web hosting account was provided as part of the course which is nice for those who lack a way to serve up their projects. I’m maybe 25% through the course when I receive several emails asking me to rate the course and for doing the good instructor would extend the free hosting to a year or something. My feelings are this offer should be made only after the student as completed the entire course.

Over all the course provided a good basic foundation in many different areas including PHP/MySQL.
I should note that I purchased the course during a special for only $10.00 US. The instructor provided pdf’s for each lesson that one could go back to as a reference.

If you wait for the heavily discounted specials then you should get value for your money but I feel that at full cost the courses I’ve taken would not have been worth it.

Thanks

Steve

I never heard anything about the free server thing

I am on Udemy as an instructor. It is true that I haven’t publish any courses yet. And maybe I never will :smiley:

I have taken some and some of them are…Ok. Some of them are really, really good.

I stayed away from marketing courses though. I know by experience that 90% of the people teach crap. So I can’t provide an opinion on those. Maybe there’s a really good one … who knows?

You’ll get another one at 50% of the course, at 75 % (I think) and when the course is over.

You can wait till you finish the course to rate the course :slight_smile:

Molona, I apologize, the free hosting isn’t offered by Udemy but by the instructor of the course who apparently runs his own hosting company on the side. Several lessons covered Ajax and PHP/MySQL. This allows students who currently do not have their own web hosting or do not wish to install on their own machines.

There’s a huge number of courses on Udemy, enough that I suspect Udemy personnel do not actually audit these courses.

Steve

Smart move from the teacher’s part… very intelligent.

Courses do get screened for approval. There are certain minimums that you have to cover. But in a tech topic like this, maybe there are not that many :slight_smile:

Hi molona et al. I’m sorry for not responding sooner, I don’t visit this forum too often. Well, I bought some courses. I bought this ClickBank course here: ClickBank - Make Your First Real Dollar. I’m 51% through the course. So far, a lot of the info could’ve been found for free, but it’s nicely organized in one place. I’m only just getting into the meat of the course right now. What he’s recommending to do is use BingAds to promote ClickBank. The powerpoint slides or whatever he used are very basic and a bit grainy and he has a strong accent. It can be hard to understand what he’s saying at times. I do worry that it’s possible some of the instructors just research their topic and then make a course out of it. I certainly hope that is not the case here.

I would never pay full price ($200) for a course like this. I paid $10 on sale.

Anyway, I’m sorry I wasn’t more direct in what type of courses I was referring to. I can understand how many in the sitepoint community would take issue with a web developer course. That’s because a lot of you can’t agree on quite a bit when it comes to design and development in the first place.

If there’s anyone else that knows much about affiliate marketing I’d appreciate it. There’s another course I bought as well that teaches CPA.

I wouldn’t worry about this. As you said, even if it was, if the information was properly organized and delivered, it saved you quite a few hours of researching and it is good that you pay for that.

My problem is if this theacher simply researched the topic… and didn’t check what information was right and what information was wrong or not as accurate it could be. And that’s what happens with most of the marketing gurus: most of their information is crap. And quite often, what they really teach to their followers is how to become a spammer.

I did some affiliate marketing long ago and that included clickbank. I don’t know how clickbank is doing right now. When I was doing it, it was full of self-written books, most of them with a arguable quality. There were some nice books and magazines too but there was such an amount of crap there, that I got bored looking for a good opportunity.

Because the very first rule, no matter if it is your own product or it is an affiliate one, is that you believe in it

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.