UI Design

Hi,
I’m a newbie in php and web development, and I’m just able to develop basic applications using php and html.
For an application I’m developing, I designed a landing page, and people told me it looks so 90s design, and you need to improve UI and give a more modern look. Right now, I want to know how to design modern looking dialog that can be used to build forms (I intend to use that for registration, login, and for forms that can be of varying length from 2-3 to 8-12 rows of fields) -just to give you an idea what i’m looking for- http://www.gliffy.com/#

Now, I’m doing using php that creates forms in the page, but I feel a dialog would be better,
do I need to go for things like jquery? Please guide me as where to get started. If you have any piece of code skeleton, that can help me get started, I’ll be more than grateful.

Thank you.

Hi tech_man. Welcome to SitePoint. :slight_smile:

Don’t know about others, but I can’t quite work out what you are asking here. I’m not sure what that site you linked to is meant to demonstrate. Also not sure what you mean by “a dialog would be better”.

If your page is easy to use and clear for users, you will be doing a lot better than most sites, so focus on that. Once you’ve got that right, then you can safely think about making things pretty without making life harder for your visitors.

Thanks, Ralph! :slight_smile:
In the demonstration link,I meant to know more about the login “dialog box” for username and password. I feel stupid, I didn’t mention that. I’m sorry.
In my application, there will be forms to fill frequently, and I thought instead of taking them to new page for each form, I’ll put dialogs, and which might avoid new page loading again and again.
(to give another analogy, In Java swing application, If we just use “JDialog”, we’ll get a dialog box. So I was wondering, do have something similar in html/php/javascript).
I hope I’m clear now.

And I really get your point about “usability”. That’s both very practical and useful advice. :slight_smile: