Unbelievably Dumb Windows Command Prompt Question

All I’m trying to do is change directories at the CL in Win8.1 64-bit, but it’s completely ignoring me for some reason. It’s a long time since I’ve used it in any meaningful way, but I don’t remember it being this hard before.

All I’m trying to do is change directories from C:\ to D:, but it’s having none of it

C:\>cd d:\

Gives me

C:\>

and so does

C:\>chdir d:\

Yet I can navigate up and down the C:\ file tree all day long. What am I doing wrong?

d: is not a directory.

Try just d: which should take you to the last used directory on d:

1 Like

Told you it was a dumb question… :smile:

Thanks

2 Likes

Not a dumb question. We all went through this.

I cut my computer teeth on DOS 3.31 (still have the IBM PC XT, believe it or not) and made the same mistake in my beginning days. :slight_smile: The only dumb question is the one that goes un-asked.

V/r,

:slight_smile:

1 Like

This isn’t a DOS question. The command line in Windows NT / 2000 / XP / Vista / 7 / 8 / 10 is an OS/2 command line and not a DOS one.

The last versions of DOS were windows 88 and Windows ME. There hasn’t been a Microsoft version of DOS released since then and I think by then all the competing DOS versions had given up as well.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.