Unconditional Basic Income as an Answer to Automation

So in the UK we have a benefit system already that many people abuse. In theory it is good… if you lose your job or are ill the government helps you to get back to work. But there are a lot of people was play the system and get everything paid for. My parents let houses and many (most) of the tennants over the years were on benefits and the local council pays the rent and additional money for the person to live. If they have kids they get paid extra to look after the children. Some of the children grow up seeing their parents playing the system and rather than bother to learn/work they take the same path. True it is not everyone will end up like this but there are a large proportion (i believe) that would take that option especially if working barely gives you any more (which is one of the problems of our benefit system).

Given the advertising currently on TV in the UK mostly tries to tell you that a happy family life involves buying a bigger TV, signing up to netflix, eating KFC and having to have superfast broadband i am not convinced more ‘spare’ time is going to lead to a healthier population :frowning: