Unconditional Basic Income as an Answer to Automation

Those are good points about systems abuse; but I feel like (at least in the US) our current bloated system for food, monetary, heating, phone, etc aid for unemployed or low income people is a hulking disaster that is gamed by lots of people, hard to access for those who actually need it, and just a big mess. I don’t see this being more game-able, but less. There’s nothing to game. You get your check. End of story :smiley:

Given the advertising currently on TV in the UK mostly tries to tell you that a happy family life involves buying a bigger TV, signing up to netflix, eating KFC and having to have superfast broadband i am not convinced more ‘spare’ time is going to lead to a healthier population frowning

To be honest, I probably (somewhat) agree with you. I know that personally I would love to have the time to go exercise regularly. I enjoy it, I just struggle to find the time. So me personally? I’d love more free time. I’d also pursue side projects and such. But I, personally, would both desire and need to work, too, so I might have less new-found free time to vegetate than a lot of people :smiley:

Edit: Consider, though, how many people already are unhealthy, unhappy, etc. Is the possibility of more free time going to be disastrous?

Edit: Do you have Netflix commercials on TV? That seems counter productive… (I don’t live in the UK, and I don’t get television service, so I wouldn’t know.)