University portfolio ideas?

Hiyah

I’m hoping to get into a computer science course at university by providing a portfolio as a lot of the qualifications I have (although some of them are pretty good) aren’t ‘academic enough’ for most universities.

I’m hoping to build up a portfolio of work I have done over the past few years, showing some of the software I have written, and some other commercial stuff I’ve done…

Do you think I should make it as a brochure or an online thing? Anyone got any creative ideas I can borrow? ehehe

Thanks!

Aaron

It totally depends on the person which would take your interview … may be he can ask you some technical stuff that you do not need to show physically or may be ask some of the question regarding to your past project experience. But my recommendation to contact the senior students who gone through this kind of interview…

Well, job applications often require online portfolios. I imagine applying for a university program would be similar. But unless you are trying to get in for a Masters degree in a very selective field you usually don’t need any prerequisites or qualifications as they should offer all the courses you need…

Oh wait, are you in school right now and just trying to get into a course that is outside your major? They usually have prerequisites that must be fulfilled. Tech ones are easier to finagle your way into - even just talking to the instructor and showing them your work or getting a current professor to put in a good word for you works. Any way you can show them your work and explain it should help, digital or print. However, there are some instances where they will not budge no matter what (like not being able to take Costuming 102 because I didn’t take two semesters of Costume design first… but that’s more of a practical requirement. :P)

Good luck! I hope the effort is worth it.

I say why not go with both… being prepared for an interview is a great thing in normal circumstances - and having something physical to show them and then have the website available (for if they request it) may be a good move in showcasing your abilities. As for the University, do you know if they will allow portfolio content to supplement the entry requirements? My concern would be that they might be strict in only accepting recognised qualifications (alike many academic institutions).