Update statement

Hello everyone,
I built a sample e-banking application as part of a project from my school. I wrote the statement below to update two tables from fields submitted from a form and also send a mail to the form owner. when i submit the form it redirects to the finale.php page but does not update the database at all…

The UPDATE statement is

$sqlupdate = " UPDATE client, statement SET client.account_balance = $balanceaftertransfer,client.checkcode = 1, statement.account_balance = $balanceaftertransfer, statement.statement_details = Online Transfer, statement.statement_credit = 0, statement.staement_debit = $amt2tra, statement.statement_date = CURDATE(), statement.client_id = $client_id
WHERE client.client_id = statement.client_id AND username = ‘“.$_SESSION[‘MM_Username’].”’";
mysql_query($sqlupdate ) ;

and the full post.php file is as shown below

<?php
if (!isset($_SESSION)) {
session_start();
}
$MM_authorizedUsers = “”;
$MM_donotCheckaccess = “true”;

// *** Restrict Access To Page: Grant or deny access to this page
function isAuthorized($strUsers, $strGroups, $UserName, $UserGroup) {
// For security, start by assuming the visitor is NOT authorized.
$isValid = False;

// When a visitor has logged into this site, the Session variable MM_Username set equal to their username.
// Therefore, we know that a user is NOT logged in if that Session variable is blank.
if (!empty($UserName)) {
// Besides being logged in, you may restrict access to only certain users based on an ID established when they login.
// Parse the strings into arrays.
$arrUsers = Explode(“,”, $strUsers);
$arrGroups = Explode(“,”, $strGroups);
if (in_array($UserName, $arrUsers)) {
$isValid = true;
}
// Or, you may restrict access to only certain users based on their username.
if (in_array($UserGroup, $arrGroups)) {
$isValid = true;
}
if (($strUsers == “”) && true) {
$isValid = true;
}
}
return $isValid;
}

$MM_restrictGoTo = “log.php”;
if (!((isset($_SESSION[‘MM_Username’])) && (isAuthorized(“”,$MM_authorizedUsers, $_SESSION[‘MM_Username’], $_SESSION[‘MM_UserGroup’])))) {
$MM_qsChar = “?”;
$MM_referrer = $_SERVER[‘PHP_SELF’];
if (strpos($MM_restrictGoTo, “?”)) $MM_qsChar = “&”;
if (isset($_SERVER[‘QUERY_STRING’]) && strlen($_SERVER[‘QUERY_STRING’]) > 0)
$MM_referrer .= “?” . $_SERVER[‘QUERY_STRING’];
$MM_restrictGoTo = $MM_restrictGoTo. $MM_qsChar . “accesscheck=” . urlencode($MM_referrer);
header(“Location: “. $MM_restrictGoTo);
exit;
}
?>
<?php
//To connect to database
include(“Connections/bollingo.php”);
$query_recordset = “SELECT *
FROM client, statement
WHERE client.client_id = statement.client_id AND username = '”.$_SESSION[‘MM_Username’].”'”;

// Receiving variables
$pfw_ip= $_SERVER[‘REMOTE_ADDR’];
$client_id = $_POST[‘client_id’];
$accname = $_POST[‘accname’];
$avafortra = (int)$_POST[‘avafortra’];
$amt2tra = (int)$_POST[‘amt2tra’];
$email = $_POST[‘email’];
$mobile = $_POST[‘mobile’];
$tbname = $_POST[‘tbname’];
$tbbank = $_POST[‘tbbank’];
$tbbankac = $_POST[‘tbbankac’];
$tbbranch = $_POST[‘tbbranch’];
$tbswift = $_POST[‘tbswift’];

$balanceaftertransfer = $avafortra - $amt2tra;

//Sending Email to form owner
$pfw_header = "From: $email
"
. "Reply-To: $email
";
$pfw_subject = “Hello”;
$pfw_email_to = “info@myownsite.com”;
$pfw_message = "Visitor’s IP: $pfw_ip
"
. "Account Name: $accname
"
;

mail($pfw_email_to, $pfw_subject ,$pfw_message ,$pfw_header ) ;

//updating database
$sqlupdate = " UPDATE client, statement SET client.account_balance = $balanceaftertransfer,client.checkcode = 1, statement.account_balance = $balanceaftertransfer, statement.statement_details = Online Transfer, statement.statement_credit = 0, statement.staement_debit = $amt2tra, statement.statement_date = CURDATE(), statement.client_id = $client_id
WHERE client.client_id = statement.client_id AND username = ‘“.$_SESSION[‘MM_Username’].”’";
mysql_query($sqlupdate ) ;

header(“Location: finale.php”);
?>

Do an echo of $sqlupdate to see if the query is what you think it is. And then copy and paste it into PHPMyAdmin and see what happens.

Thanks for the tip! I am using Dreamweaver for the scripting. The session variable does not exist in the mysql database so I am sure it won’t work on phpmyadmin!
Can you just peruse the code for me please?

Of course the session variable doesn’t exist in the database. That’s why you have to do an echo of the variable that contains the entire query, and copy and paste the entire query (including the VALUE of the session variable). The query MUST work in PHPMyAdmin, otherwise it will never work.

I would wrap the following value assignment…

statement.statement_details = Online Transfer

…with ticks…

statement.statement_details = ‘Online Transfer’

…to properly delimit the value.

Already tried that Serenarules
I am just wondering if the query was right before

$query_recordset = “SELECT *
FROM client, statement
WHERE client.client_id = statement.client_id AND username = '”.$_SESSION[‘MM_Username’].“'”;
Maybe this is where the problem is?
Any thoughts?

First, actual SQL is not my strong point.

Second, try adding the following line to check how many (if any) records are being returned.

die(mysql_row_count($query_recordset));

But what I would do in any case, is look into using the JOIN syntax to link the two tables, rather than rely on the where clause. Also, using quoted identifiers can also lead to hidden problems (‘statement’ is a quoted identifier). Look into using aliases. Using * can increase load, depending on how much data is being returned. Select specific columns.

For example:

SELECT
c.client_id,
c.client_name,
s.statement_id,
s.statement_balance
FROM
client as c
JOIN
‘statement’ as s
ON
c.client_id = s.client_id
WHERE
c.client_id = ‘somevalue’

Now, I realise, I pulled those fields out of thin air. I have no clue what your table structure looks like. Bear in mind, it was only an example.

And by all means, if my sample isn’t correct, would another mentor with more SQL experience correct it? Thanks!

Let me paste the table structure for you then. Maybe you can come up with a more efficient query.
In the client and statement table, i have client_id which is the link between the two tables. Please note also that the session variable used by dreamweaver here is MM_Username (username = ‘“.$_SESSION[‘MM_Username’].”’")
Now i want to select from the client table client_id, account_balance and checkcode
and from the statement table client_id,account_balance, statement_credit,statement_debit and statement_details

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS client (
client_id int(11) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
first_name varchar(100) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
last_name varchar(100) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
dob date DEFAULT NULL,
sex varchar(10) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
email varchar(50) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
address varchar(255) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
state varchar(30) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
postcode varchar(10) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
mobile varchar(40) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
country varchar(20) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
account_type varchar(100) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT ‘Premium’,
Currency varchar(10) DEFAULT NULL,
open_balance int(50) DEFAULT NULL,
open_date date DEFAULT NULL,
account_pic varchar(100) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
account_number varchar(100) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
account_balance int(50) DEFAULT NULL,
account_status varchar(100) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci DEFAULT NULL,
username varchar(55) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT ‘’,
password varchar(55) CHARACTER SET latin1 COLLATE latin1_general_ci NOT NULL DEFAULT ‘’,
first_time int(10) DEFAULT NULL,
checkcode int(10) DEFAULT NULL,
first_code int(10) DEFAULT NULL,
second_code int(10) DEFAULT NULL,
third_code int(10) DEFAULT NULL,
fourth_code int(10) DEFAULT NULL,
Updates longtext,
last_login timestamp NULL DEFAULT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (client_id)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1 AUTO_INCREMENT=1 ;

CREATE TABLE IF NOT EXISTS statement (
client_id int(10) NOT NULL,
statement_id int(10) NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
statement_details varchar(200) NOT NULL,
statement_date date NOT NULL,
statement_credit varchar(50) NOT NULL,
statement_debit varchar(50) NOT NULL,
account_balance varchar(50) NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (statement_id)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 AUTO_INCREMENT=3 ;

In you original post, your code suggests you are fetching by client.username. You realise this will return the client and all it’s statements. Is there a one-to-one constraint on client and statement or can a client have more than one statement? What are you expecting to see, in terms of row counts, with this statement.

Of course, the reason for the client_id in the statement table is so that a client can have multiple statement. just as in a real life application…

The below should (if I have my sql correct) work. Two fields were commented out to avoid column name ambiguity. It is assumed by me, that these values will be the same anyway. If not, give them aliases (s.account_balance as statement_account_balance) and uncomment them.

Note: I don’t do the work for people, by and large, but everybody gets one freebie.

$username = mysql_real_escape_string($_SESSION['MM_Username']);

$query = "SELECT

c.client_id,
c.account_balance,
c.check_code,

-- s.client_id.
-- s.account_balance,
s.statement_credit,
s.statement_debit,
s.statement_details

FROM

client as c

JOIN

'statement' as s

ON

c.client_id = s.client_id

WHERE

c.username = '$username'";

I’m still waiting for the OP to do what I suggested.

Touche. Anyway, he has my input and sample. So I think I too am joining you ‘on-the-bench’ now.