I am preparing to upgrade MySQL from version 5.0.22 to version 5.1.44 on my local PC.
Cur ver: mysql Ver 14.12 Distrib 5.0.22, for Win32 (ia32)
New ver: mysql Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.44, for Win32 (ia32)
What is the procedure for upgrading?
Should I un-install the old version before installing the new version?
How do I transfer the data (in the database tables) from the old version to the new version?
I found plenty of information about installing MySQL, but not much on upgrading.
What should I watch out for during the upgrade?
Any comments or a link to additional information will be appreciated.
I've never upgraded MYSQL versions myself but if I were the first thing I would do would be to make sure that I had a working backup of all the databases (structure and data) that are stored on the server.
Either no one has upgraded MySQL before or everyone thinks this question is so simple that it doesn't require an answer so I have decided to dive in on my own.
Here is what I plan to do:
- Save (export) the databases to a *.SQL file using mysqldump.
- Save the my.ini file from the installation directory.
- Un-install the current version of MySQL (verify the service is also deleted).
- Install the new version of MySQL.
- Edit the my.ini file if necessary.
- Import the databases back into MySQL using mysql.
I have already verified that I can export and then import the structure and data.
If the whole thing blows up, I can always resort to my latest backup (that I will perform right before the upgrade).