Uploads folder in Wordpress

Like the millions of others out there, it seems I’ve encountered an issue with the “Uploads” folder.

I receive the following message when trying to make an upload (and this is after manually creating the “02” sub-directory):

Upload Error: Image - The uploaded file could not be moved to /home/mywebsite/public_html/wp-content/uploads/2010/02

I’ve done a lot of reading about this and here is where I am with it:
1.) I’m not CHMOD’ing my directories to 777. I’ve come to the conclusion that this is a no-no…
2.) My “Miscellaneous” path is set to default (nothing in it).
3.) Before I manually created the “02” folder, it would tell me that it couldn’t create the directory, so I know this has something to do with permissions, but what, exactly, is beyond me.

I’ve read that it might prove advantageous to change the owner via CHOWN, but I am so far unable to do this due to server restrictions, and yes, an e-mail has been dispatched. :slight_smile:

Are there any other possibilities, though? I’ve looked through the database to verify that the uploads path is correct, and it is, so changing the path in Miscellaneous can’t do anything here. I’ve also read that un-ticking the “Organize my Uploads by Year” or whatever fixes this, but how could this be the TRUE fix?

If I can’t get the sys admin to change the owner (which I doubt he’ll do), am I just S.O.L.? Has anyone ever had any issues like this before? :injured:

I’ve had that same issue and I finally just cave and CHMOD my upload directory to 777.

At least I know I’m not alone in this. :wink: