Urgent Help Please make website compatible with all browsers

hello everyone,

Please help, how can i make my website compatible for all browsers, apparently it works ok on IE, but not on Firefox.

website address www.saint-mart.co.uk .

any reply would be much appreciated, the website wasa designed using Dreamweaver 8 and Fireworks 8.

many thanks

coco

I can take a stab at it it, but it’s not going to be a walk in the park. You’re going to need a major overhaul of the code and graphics.

If it works in IE but not FF then it won’t be compatible with other browsers. Make it work in FF, then it will probably be compatible with all browsers except old, buggy IE; but we can fix that.

Validate and fix your errors first.

Doc, he used a series of image slices for his page. It’s going to require an overhaul, not just a simple quick fix.

All browsers? From the first version of Mosaic right through to the latest in mobile phone browsers? Really? Or do you mean just the current generation of desktop browsers?

A few tips for you:

Firstly, you need to validate your HTML and CSS using the validators available at http://validator.w3.org/ and http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ - if your code is wrong, you cannot blame the browser.

If you do not already have a basic understanding of HTML and CSS, learn them. Without that knowledge you simply cannot create decent web sites. http://www.w3schools.com/ is a good place to start.

Secondly, don’t use tables for page layout unless there is no other reliable way to lay out your page. Your HTML should be semantically correct, using <div> to divide the page into logical chunks, <h1> to <h6> for headings, <p> for body text and so on.

Third, don’t use graphics for your body text. This renders it completely inaccessible to vision-impaired users, non-graphical browsers and the search engines. If you must use graphics for text, make sure you use the alt attribute to provide the same or equivalent content to non-graphical browsers.

Any questions?

hello

thanks to all that answer my post, the website templates was designed in Fireworks 8, and html pages in Dreamweaver 8, perhaps i stated wrong with making my website compatible with all browsers, but if i can get the website compatible with Firefox and IE6 that would be good. i used slices in fireworks for he menus button.

any idea how i can make it compatiblein Firefox. in mean time i should go and have a try.

any reply would be much appreciated.

thanks

coco

I think you need to start over. I can see possibly having some text as a graphic, but not for navigation and certainly not for the entire site. Heck, if you’re just going to use images, there’s no reason to even slice it since you could just have one big image and create an image map for links… but I would highly fown upon that.

Coco, you have two problems here:

1. You have next to no knowledge of HTML or CSS.
  2. You’ve tried to create the entire site using one big table. This becomes very difficult when you try to create a layout as complicated as yours.

Nobody is going to help you solve this one because the code is a mess and the site is essentially useless. The entire page is essentially one big image, which means unless you’re a human with 20/20 vision or else you’re some OCR software, this site is useless. You’ve shut out the blind, the vision impaired, search engines, mobile browsers, very high res users, people like me who like to scale my text up…

People have offered to help you overhail your code. I’d advise you to take them up on the offer and listen to the advice they give.

Hi Coco
If you are using DW8 I can highly recommend sitepoints book ‘Build Your Own Standards Compliant Website Using Dreamweaver 8’. I had no knowlege of website design before reading this (except a course which taught me to use tables for layout like your site - v bad). It will give you a beginners guide to HTML and CSS and you can probably rebuild your site following the book and if you do this it will be compatible with FF and most other main browsers by the end. It also helps you understand DWs tools and also makes sure that your site is accessible.