Use company name in Forum handle?

Hi

I’m starting a forum, and for my ‘admin’ username, I was toying with having a username that contained a company name and one other ‘part’.
E.g. companyname-part2

I don’t intend to say things on the forum that would in any way bring said company in to disrepute. Indeed I very much like the company.

Is there a legal problem here?
Particularly as forum creator, Am I running an un-necassary risk?

Thanks

You have made me think… good question here. I am now in two sides.

First bringing the company name will depend on the company policies. If your using the name of the company for good reason and the company allows it then you can make use of it as another promotional way. But if you are using the company name in different idea then that’s liable for something else. Just make sure you have the permission for it to use publicly.

I really appreciate this idea since it happened once to a friend of mine…Hope I make sense here.

Depends, some will try and get a lawyer to send a letter to the forum admin to at least change the forum username, maybe even more.

It really depends on the context, how large is the forum, where is the forum hosted, …

Well good for you. But in any case the company didn’t agree, you can always create a non admin member with that same company name and I don’t think they can do anything about it.

Look, I can see people creating usernames like VerizonSucks, Toyotafail, Microsoftcrap and do you think those companies cares?

Cheers again guys.
You know what, I think I might just e-mail the company in question and ask!

depends on the company policy, and/or if you’re officially representing the company there - just as I said. If you’re a simple employer and run this forum in your free time, you might get in trouble. There’s or was a natwest employee giving advice on a student forum regarding money and such, using natwest in his forum name. He told he’d get in plenty of trouble if they’d find out who that person is, even though he helped create a positive image of natwest.

that’s a legal question and you should consult a lawyer really.

Personally, if you’re not affiliated with the company in any way (and even then it’s tricky unless you’re doing this as part of your job there or you actually own the company), I wouldn’t do it.

But if you are asociated with that company I think that would be recommended instead.

Much apreciated.

Yep, there are companies that are quite happy and open with regards to the internet - and then you’ve got companies that are scared of the potential negative effects it can have.

Just for your reference guys, I contacted the company and asked them, said it would have a mild promotional benifit.
They said I could go right ahead!

Seems it don’t hurt to ask…