Use your domain email or public email?

I didn’t really know where to post this but thought it may be a marketing subject…

Currently and for the last few years I have been using a hotmail account as my main email.

I know this doesn’t look very professional but here is the situation.

I have a domain name but i didn’t want to use the me@mydomain.com email address because I am not a full time freelancer and am still working for other companies and didn’t want them to think i was my own company…

The problem with that is to a freelancer looking to get local clients it would look better if I had the me@mydomain.com email…

I know i could use both but what a organizational nightmare… for me…

what would you suggest?

Thanks all!

I don’t see any problem with doing that at all. It’s normal for a web practitioner to have a domain of their own and an email address at that domain.

I have several email accounts (well, “unlimited” actually). I use my hotmail email for “personal” correspondence - family, friends and others that “know” me. and my “domain” email for the more “professional” correspondence.

I’m currently working with a friend that uses her aol account. I recommended that using a domain account would look more professional. Her reason for not? Too complicated checking in more than one place - she didn’t know about forwarding.

But I guess it depends on what image you what to project. “friend” vs. “pro”.

One nice thing you can do is port all your email addresses over to Google and just have one account, but check all your emails at once and reply to them from their own domains, rather than from Gmail. I haven’t used it yet, but it seems worth considering.