Using my ISP's SMTP server to send email

Hi

My website is hosted on a server which has been added to a number of blacklists as another account has been infected and is sending out spam.
And some of my sent email is bouncing back as a result.

Its been suggested that changing the SMTP server on my local machine will solve the problem. When I did some of the email still bounced.

Is the suggestion correct - and I wonder if there is something I need to do beyond inputting the SMTP server, authentication and Port settings?

Thanks

It highly depend on the volume of emails you send each day. If it’s just a few you should be fine with a reputable ISP. If you are sending a lot (say, more than a 100 emails a day), you’re probably better off with a service like Amazon SES, Sendgrid, Mailgun, or similar.

That being said, if it’s low volume, changing to a different SMTP server should have helped, unless an entire subnet has been banned, in which case you should either get your ISP to inform the blacklister they should be taken off the blacklist, or change to a another [better] ISP instead.

I have never come across a situation where an ISP permits emails to be sent through it that originate from a web site hosted elsewhere (as any that did allow it would have their server blacklisted for spamming). Emails originating from a web site would have to be sent through an email server associated with the hosting provider.

The other way around is possible - sending emails from your computer via the email server associated with your web hosting - but that’s because your computer has a login for both your ISP and hosting provider whereas the web site itself can’t log in to your ISP as it isn’t part of your local network.

I send all the emails originating on my local network via the email server of my ISP while those emails generated on my hosting get sent via the email server of the hosting provider - even though the emails may originate from the same email address. I could switch to sending them all via the hosting provider but the way I have it keeps the number of emails actually originating from the hosting to a minimum (and that’s the email server that has a maximum on how many emails can be sent in a given period).

Thanks for your input guys

When I did some of the email still bounced.

Sorry that was a mistake on my part. Its appears changing the SMTP server on my local machine did solve the problem.