Using xampp - several questions

I have been using php and mysql since Kevin posted his 10 lessons on this site. My isp supplies the db (user and pw). That has served me well.

Now I need to do some work in DW5.5 (non cloud) and I have dl-ed xmapp, opened it and am to the point of needing a db, user and pw.

Thanks in advance

ed

As I am on my home PC I just use the root without a password !

From the xampp website:

How I can set a “root” password in MySQL? (method 1)

The easiest way is to use the security console, which you can access at http://localhost/security/.

This “console” creates a password for the MySQL user “root” and is adjusting the phpMyAdmin configuration.

How I can set a “root” password in MySQL? (method 2)

With the"XAMPP Shell" (command prompt) you can also change the password. Open the shell and execute this command:
mysqladmin.exe -u root password secret

Of course, your password should not be “secret”, too. In the next step you must adjust the phpMyAdmin configuration for this new password. In the file “\xampp\phpMyAdmin\config.inc.php” change the lines:
$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘user’] = ‘root’;
$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘password’] = ‘’;
to:
$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘user’] = ‘root’;
$cfg[‘Servers’][$i][‘password’] = ‘secret’;

Instead in the XAMPP Shell, you can also change the password with phpMyAdmin, and then adjust the phpMyAdmin configuration.

First, congrats on the photo award.

I was a bit apprehensive about asking the wrong question, and sure enough, I did (ask the wrong question). Please be patient.

root and its password are for the entirety of xampp\mysql and your reply reenforces the reading I found in the installation blurbs. I tend to sometimes go sideways and what you have said confirms that I am correct - so far.

I need to setup a project database and user account.

I need to post. My machine is going zonks…

I posted and then realized that I had not thanked you for the very thoughtful reply, Thanks and Peace

When dealing with php and MySQL you’re best off creating a new “super-user” for MySQL for the general administration of MySQL.l Once the new super user ins created it should be used instead of the default or root. Once you’ve created the new super-user then any other super-uses should be deleted, especially root. Each PHP app should have it’s own MySQL user which will only have privileges for that app’s own database.

If you’re using a shared server then you’ll probably have no say as to what MySQL user you use for PHP to access MySQL or for you to administer MySQL directly.

I am sorry about the delay in reply . Personal stuff.

Thanks for the reply and it makes a lot of sense to move away from using “root”.

Many thanks to those who have read the thread and an extra helping of thanks to those who have replied.

Peace