Validator a bit puzzling

run my page trough validator this is what i got:

1. The character encoding was not declared. Proceeding using windows-1252.

2.Line 103, Column 75: The element button must not appear as a descendant of the a element.
…<a href=“#slide01” data-toggle=“modal”><button class=“btn primary”>Read More…

tried this w/the <a href> insided the button tags and wrapping the button tags either way a get an error.

3.Line 298, Column 62: Stray start tag div.
<div id=“slide01” class=“modal hide fade” tabindex=“-1”>

don’t understand this as it works. and it has a closing div…???

If anyone here is more familiar with this could you please tell me what they mean?
thx
D

Make sure to declare a character encoding on your page. E.g.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
<head>
<meta [COLOR="#FF0000"]charset="utf-8"[/COLOR]>
The element button must not appear as a descendant of the a element.

Use either a <button> element or an <a>, not both.

Stray start tag div.

It means that the validator is not expecting a start div tag there. This might be because there’s something out of place earlier in the code.

Thank you Ralph,will go fix them!
D
ps…just read the bog thing.
you don’t like bootstrap?

[ot]

How on earth did you get that impression? :shifty: [/ot]

feet…bogs…:slight_smile:
seriously. would appreciate your opinion on bootstrap & why you might not might not like it.
I just recently started working w/it.Over all so far not so bad.
I just want to use it for it’s responsive props so far.
have an awesome week
D

I think frameworks just introduce more problems than they solve. Layouts with CSS are pretty easy—even responsive ones—and it’s much nicer to start from a clean slate then to have to modify a tangle of code that contains a ton of stuff you don’t need.

can see that point after I spent a nice chunck of last night looking for code so I could change it…
Still so far it seems to have lots of other nice features.
Can you recommend a good book/video tutorials for responsive sites. the one I got off lynda.com (we mentioned it before) I did not care for very much (although they have other good ones)
thx
D

There are lots around these days. SitePoint has one, A Book Apart has one (both shortish) but you can find a ton of others on Amazon I’m sure. I’ve only read the A Book Apart one so far, by the guy who make the “responsive design” concept popular.