Hi, i have got this piece of code:

var f = [];

var x = 1;

f[0] = function(){alert(x);};

var x = 2;

f[1] = function(){alert(x);};

f[0]();
f[1]();

I would like to display the number 1 at first and then 2. but this code produces number 2 for both alerts. I was able to achieve what i wanted with “new” constructor when creating functions but this is not a good practice and after all i am passing these functions as an event handlers and it can’t be done with “new” keyword because it is throwing error. I think there are some solutions with arrays e.g the x would be an array of numbers, but i don’t like it. Am i missing something important?

Thanks for your replies.

I think this is what you wanna do:

var f = [], x;
f[0] = function(){alert(x);};
f[1] = function(){alert(x);};

x = 1;

f[0]();

x = 2;

f[1]();

It seems that what you require is for each function to individually retain knowledge of that variable.

The functions do not know anything about their environment until they are executed. So what you can do is to execute a function, that then returns another function.

var x = 1;
f[0] = function (x) {
    return function () {
        alert(x);
    };
}(x);

By executing the outer function immediately, that outer function has x explicitly assigned as 1. The inner function that’s returned, it retains that knowledge. That’s called closure, on which you can read up more about at: Javascript Closures

This is how to achieve what you seem to require.

var f = [];

var x = 1;
f[0] = function (x) {
    return function () {
        alert(x);
    };
}(x);

var x = 2
f[1] = function (x) {
    return function () {
        alert(x);
    };
}(x);

f[0]();
f[1]();

Paul, thank you for your reply. That is exactly what I need. Im going to learn something about the javascript closures. Odd enough i haven’t run into that one so far. I have just one question: Do I need to return the inside function? It looks like I’m able to get what I want by this:

f[0] = function (x)
{
alert(x);
}(x);

transio, also thank you for your advice but what i need is to remember the parameter value, because the functions i’m creating are passed as an event handler functions and can be called in browser anytime, in random order. So your suggestion works, but expects me to fill the variable ‘x’, and immediately after that, call the created function. But I do not know when this functions are going to be executed in global scope. I just need to register them to handle some events, remember the values passed to them and then execute on randomly called trigger(user click, mouseover etc.)