Versioning #230 - The Weather Channel

Hey everyone, Adam from Versioning here. Our email service is doing weird things to our links in our newsletter, so I’m posting today’s email newsletter here (early) so people can see a version (ho ho) with the correct links while we work out what’s going on. If you have no idea what I’m talking about, learn more about Versioning here. Otherwise, enjoy today’s newsletter — away from your inbox!

Karn You Believe It?

General web

Here’s a look at Elasticsearch’s data loss issues [aphyr] (cheers James!)

karn [github/prydonius] is a way to easily manage multiple Git identities.

DaVinci [github/pedrovieira7] is an Objective C library for creating images out of text, ideal for hiding or decoding secret messages, like conspiracy theorists allege Da Vinci did.

HyperLogSandwich [github/chanian] is, and we’ll quote directly here for reasons that will become apparent, “a probabilistic data structure for frequency/k-occurrence cardinality estimation of multisets.” Pretty basic.

Captain Obvious

Design

ABO — Always Be Obvious [lukew].

Phonebook [tilt] is a phone-shaped sketchpad for phone-shaped sketches.

The Weather Channel

SitePoint

On SitePoint, we had a look at getting realtime weather data into a Unity game. Insane.

Here’s a look how to use Memio to automatically generate PHP code.

Then we have a guide to making API calls in AngularJS using its $http service.

Red Rover

News/business

NASA wants to send a manned vehicle to Phobos, one of the moons of Mars [motherboard.vice]. Seems like a pretty Doomed plan to us.

Finally, a way to group all those posts you make on Google+ [plus.google]. Seriously, Google+ was starting to get too busy for a while there, thank goodness there’s a way to slow it down a bit.

After criticism from net neutrality advocates, Facebook is opening its Internet.org platform, but not to high-bandwidth sites [arstechnica]. Mark Z appears to have also realized that providing free internet isn’t very financially sustainable, which was actually the part of the plan everyone admired, so congrats, genius.

Also, here’s a pretty scathing first-person account of one person’s experience with an immersive code school [drive.google]. It’s bound to be disputed, but is worth reading.

Death Proof

Everything else

This watch strap will power your Apple Watch [reservestrap]. (Eventually, once it’s made, of course.)

Do you have $4000 to burn and a (near) death wish? Here’s the service for you! [motherboard.vice].

Pay tribute to those who have gone before you with these t-shirts showing off the logos of extinct startups [extinctstartups].

Finally: SPACE COFFEE [blogs.nasa].

Surely you jest, Myspace is still trying to stay relevant.

Anyone know if this is archived anywhere? Looks like Google has taken it down since Google Drive is not intended to be a public hosting service. :disappointed:

Gah, I nearly didn’t include it because I feared that may happen. I’ll have a look around and report back.

1 Like

I was really hoping I’d find a Pownce hoodie in there…

Let’s say I’m more than a little curious about this one. Hopefully someone will put it somewhere else so we can read it.

Looks like it’s been scrubbed from the webs, but this is apparently the Quora thread where it was first posted. There’s also a Reddit thread, and the commenters there are as reasonable and understandable as you’d expect.

People have conflicting stories about whether boot camps are useful/rip offs. Sounds like this one didn’t work for this guy, but I imagine people get a lot of value out of them.

This topic was automatically closed 91 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.